Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Orleans Mayor Nagin's Speech Yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prebe
Sure as shit not rolling on shabbat

Male

976 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Trumpet

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelerak wrote:
I can only speak for the New Orleans region, but white voters down here are much more likely to vote for a black candidate over a white candidate based on issues alone, whereas the majority of the black voters will base their vote upon race alone
I'm not sayng that's not true, but I suppose you can back that?
bossk
Lord More Ham

Male

502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See now, I vote for black canidates based on years of repressed liberal guilt, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Prebe

Male

976 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Trumpet

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Just like black guys were only recently allowed bad guy roles in movies.
Plissken
Why Me?

8599 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bossk wrote:
See now, I vote for black canidates based on years of repressed liberal guilt, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Ah, crap. I'm guessing that you're being funny, but I'm reminded of my "Uber-Liberal" Ex-Wife, who would vote for Condi if she ran, because of what she considers appropriate genitalia for the job.

Policy and Qualifications, people. Policy and Qualifications.

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
sindatur
The Grey Owl Wizard

Male

6351 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bossk wrote:

LOL, reminds me of the skit from "In Living Color" where the Honkey's could call a hotline to be verbally abused by blacks in order to ease their guilt over their own successes.
finn
A Pirate looking back..........

Male

4872 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prebe wrote:
LOL Just like black guys were only recently allowed bad guy roles in movies.

Yeah the English were becoming a bit typecast.. there were some in the US who were just too confused that they were always such bad guys but were supposedly allies!

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bossk wrote:
It's a little-known fact that God personally decides the outcome of every sporting event. It's just got to be rough, when Deion Sanders is up there thanking God for his game-winning INT for a TD, for the guys on the losing team to have to realize that God hates them and wants them to fail.

LOL You're killing me Bossk. Very Happy

Jerelak, I'm being a bit facetious, but if they're voting for the same black candidate, one group because of his colour and one because of his policies, then they at least agree on who should be voted for. Wink

The easiest way to stop that is to make sure that only black candidates run for office...then everybody will have to pay attention to their policies. Wink

Pliss, I couldn't agree more. But for some reason, why I don't know, mabe just plain stupidity, more people seem to vote based on propoganda advertisements than on issues. Or at least, that's the impression I get.

Here, no negative ads are allowed. The only TV time they get is speech time, and I think that every party is allocated an equal amount thereof.

Of course, you better believe that most voting here happens along party lines, which are also often based on tribal affiliation. The rural uneducated people just don't have the context to vote on the issues. They don't even know what the issues are.

But it's early days yet. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the fall in voter turnout reassures me that grass-roots support for the government is falling as problems fail to be dealt with. And that's a good sign, because it's the grass-roots where most of the vote comes from.

Eventually, it's going to force the creation of a political party that represents the people's interests, and not the governments. It's complicated though by people's lack of awareness of the process of governance and planning. They expect the government to create jobs, provide land, without realising or admitting that it's not like waving a magic wand. But it'll change. It is changing in fact.

--A

Prebe

Male

976 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always interesting to hear how a democracy that actually arose can develop Avatar.

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is interesting. I'm generally optimistic about it, but the potential for it going wrong is huge. Everybody is watching very closely. Personally, I think it'll take at least another generation, maybe two.

My main real touchstone is the Constitutional Court. The highest court in the country, as long as they retain the power to order the government, I think we still have a fair chance. If government ever overturns that power, or subborns the court somehow, then we're probably screwed.

But there's a lot of wriggle-room in between, so every potential development is important.

--A

Prebe

Male

976 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main real touchstone is the Constitutional Court. The highest court in the country, as long as they retain the power to order the government
Yep. Trust it to courts or the military to rule a country, they are always several fold more pragmatic than politicians Wink

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military might be pragmatic...but they tend to be very rigid and emphatic as well.

As for the courts, as long as they're upholding the Constitution, I'm ok with it. It's when they strat to get political that I worry.

--A

jelerak
Bloodguard

229 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jelerak wrote:
I can only speak for the New Orleans region, but white voters down here are much more likely to vote for a black candidate over a white candidate based on issues alone, whereas the majority of the black voters will base their vote upon race alone

Prebe wrote :

Quote:
I'm not sayng that's not true, but I suppose you can back that?

I can back it only to the extent that in the company that I manage, I have had anywhere from 20 - 30 black employees. Currently those numbers are down due to the lack of post Katrina work force. But in just sitting back and listening to them when they talk about things like the mayor's race, racial bias is a major factor in who they will vote for.

They don't want 'the man' in power, plain and simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map
Prebe

Male

976 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking polls/statistics.
jelerak
Bloodguard

229 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polls and statistics can always be slanted by those who are being polled, or by what factor the statistics are being based upon.

I am basing my thoughts and opinions only on my personal experiences within the population of New Orleans that I am dealing with on a daily basis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map
bossk
Lord More Ham

Male

502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleting improperly emoticonned response /edit

Last edited by bossk on Thu May 25, 2006 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
bossk
Lord More Ham

Male

502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, using a sample of 20-30 workers, he's extrapolating to the entire population of the city.

What's your beef with that, Prebe? Laughing
sindatur
The Grey Owl Wizard

Male

6351 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bossk wrote:
So, using a sample of 20-30 workers, he's extrapolating to the entire population of the city.

What's your beef with that, Prebe? Laughing

Hey, that's how Neilsen ratings work. And polls are pretty much the same too.

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, those polls usually use a sample of at least 1,000. And the bigger your sample, the more accurate. They have margins of error too. The other question of course is how representative the workers are, their demograpic, hell, all sorts of things...how friendly they are with their work-mates, how much pressure there is to fit in, or be seen a certain way...probably plenty things I've missed.

This isn't to say that Jelerak's observations of them are inaccurate. Just that they are, per force, a generalisation. *shrug*

--A

sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8492 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEMA funds spent on divorce, sex change
LARRY MARGASAK, AP

DC: The govt doled out as much as $1.4 bil. in bogus assist to victims of Katrina and Rita, getting hoodwinked to pay for season fb tickets, a tropical vac. and even a divorce lawyer, congressional investigators have found. Prison inmates, a supposed victim who used a NO cemetery for a home address, and a person who spent 70 dys at a Hawaiian hotel all were able to wrongly get taxpayer help, according to evidence that gives a new black eye to the nation's disaster relief agency. Federal investigators even informed Congress that one man apparently used FEMA assistance money for a sex change. Agents from the Gov. Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, went undercover to expose the ease of receiving disaster expense checks from FEMA. The GAO concluded that as much as 16% of the bils of $'s in FEMA help to individuals after the 2hurricanes was unwarranted.
The findings are detailed in testimony, obtained by The AP that is to be delivered at a hearing Wednesday by the House Homeland Security subcommittee on investigations. To dramatize the problem, GAO provided lawmakers with a copy of a $2,358 U.S. Treasury check for rent assist that an undercover agent got using a bogus address. The money was paid even after FEMA learned from its inspector that the undercover applicant did not live at the address. "This is an assault on the American taxpayer," said Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Tx, chairman of the subcommittee that will conduct the hearing. "Prosecutors from the federal level down should be looking at prosecuting these crimes and putting the criminals who committed them in jail for a long time." FEMA spokesman Aaron Walker said Tue that the agency, already criticized for a poor response to Katrina, makes its highest priority during a disaster "to get help quickly to those in desperate need of our assist."
"Even as we put victims first, we take very seriously our responsibility to be outstanding stewards of taxpayer $'s, and we are careful to make sure that funds are distributed appropriately," he said. FEMA said it has identified more than 1,500 cases of potential fraud after Katrina and Rita and has referred those cases to the Homeland Security inspector general. The agency said it has identified $16.8 mil in improperly awarded disaster relief money and has started efforts to collect the money. The GAO said it was 95% confident that improper and potentially fraudulent payments were much higher — between $600 mil and $1.4 bil. The investigative agency said it found people lodged in hotels often were paid twice, since FEMA gave them individual rental assistance and paid hotels directly. FEMA paid Cal hotels $8,000 to house 1 individual , the same person who received 3 rental assistance payments for both disasters. in another instance, FEMA paid an individual $2,358 in rent assist, while at the same time paying about $8,000 for the same person to stay 70 nights at more than $100 per night in a Hawaii hotel. FEMA also could not establish that 750 debit cards worth $1.5 mil even went to Katrina victims, the auditors said.
Among the items purchased with the cards: an all-inclusive, 1wk Caribbean vacation in the Punta Cana resort in the DR. 5 season tickets to Saints games. dult erotica products in Houston and "Girls Gone Wild" videos in Santa Monica, Calif. Dom Perignon champagne and other alcoholic beverages in San Antonio. a divorce lawyer's services in Houston. "Our forensic audit and investigative work showed that improper and potentially fraudulent payments occurred mainly because FEMA did not validate the identity of the registrant, the physical location of the damaged address, and ownership and occupancy of all registrants at the time of registration," GAO officials said. FEMA paid mils of $'s to more than 1,000 registrants who used names and SS #'s belonging to state and fed prisoners for expedited housing assistance. The inmates were in La, Tx, Al, Ms, Ga & Fla. FEMA made about $5.3 mil in pay to registrants who provided a po box as their damaged residence, including one who got $2,748 for listing an Al po box as the damaged property. To demonstrate how easy it was to hoodwink FEMA, the GAO told of an individual who used 13 different SS #'s, including the person's own, to get $139,000 in pay on 13 separate registrations for aid. All the pays were sent to a single address. Likewise, another person used a damaged property address located within the grounds of Greenwood Cemetery in NO to request disaster aid. Public records show no record of the registrant ever living in NO. instead, records indicate that for the past 5 yrs, the registrant lived in WV.,at the address provided to FEMA, the GAO said.

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it just give you a wam fuzzy feeling to know that people are exploiting the kindness of others and the assistance of the government?

I mean, this is why people wonder why they should bother. *sigh*

--A

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: