Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is Anna N Smith's death news worthy anyway?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male
Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 7008

Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts

Location: Cape Cod, Mass
2819 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory


PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Why is Anna N Smith's death news worthy anyway? Reply with quote

You can say "I don't think it is" but Damelon posted this in another thread and it obvious that a boatload of people do:

Damelon wrote:
In this morning's Chicago Tribune:

Quote:
But news of Smith's death Thursday lit up the Internet and sent mouses clicking far and wide. Between 3 and 4 p.m., chicagotribune.com set a record for most traffic on the Web site since its creation in 1996. The next hour set a new record.



What I find interesting about her in particular is her lack of accomplishment earning her celebrity status.
Or did she just happen to be lucky enough to die during a slow news cycle?

As much as I also can't stand the paparazzi hounding movie celebs I at least understand it a little. Movie stars at least give some kind of entertaining/enjoyment back.
What has ANS ever done?

She was a Guess jeans model that got some attention because she wasn't anorexic.
Then she married a half dead millionaire....who fully died a few months later.
Then she went to court for a decade to get his money that she didn't deserve.
Then she appeared every once in a while on the Howard Stern radio show where she was mocked as a drunken fat slob.
The she got her own cable TV show where she showed the world that she was truely a drunken fat slob.
Then she got thin.
Then she died on drugs choking on her own vomit.
Her life was such a mess that now they're fighting to retrieve DNA from her to determine who in fact the father of her kid is.


Wait, why does my ANS eulogy make her sound interesting?


[I edited this to be a little more specific to the topic of news rather than a human interest story]
_________________
httpsss://thoolah.blogspot.com/



[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!


Last edited by High Lord Tolkien on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trapper
Tambourine Virtuoso

Male
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 1218

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Wombling free
351 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because she was, despite all those failures, or perhaps because of ithem, a human being.

To say
Mr T wrote:
I pity the fool...
seems a bit harsh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
A Gunslinger
Mr. Bad Example

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 08 May 2004
Posts: 8890

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Location: Southern WI (Madison area)
1784 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Lord's Staff


PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should probably be cominbined with the Anna Nicole Smith is Dead topic, but to answer the q...

You don't have to care. The media cares becuase she was a celebrity, and one who was tied to salaciousness.

I summed it up yesterday. It is a uniquely american tragedy. Within 9 mos you'll have a network movie about her life and death. Certainly by November sweeps.
_________________
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 19843

Thanks: 11
Thanked 243 Times in 222 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
47565 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Nicole Smith is someone that everyone feels that they can mock and ridicule publicly with impunity. So everyone that has a strong need to mock and ridicule someone publicly with impunity will come out of the wordwork to do so.

Kevins Watch is just a case in point.
_________________
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Trapper
Tambourine Virtuoso

Male
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 1218

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Wombling free
351 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfriend, I'm going to pretentiously quote myself...

Trapper439 wrote:
Because she was, despite all those failures, or perhaps because of them, a human being.


Feel free to publicly ridicule me with impunity.

The way we humans treat other is surely some despicable joke...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male
Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 7008

Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts

Location: Cape Cod, Mass
2819 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory


PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfriend wrote:
Anna Nicole Smith is someone that everyone feels that they can mock and ridicule publicly with impunity. So everyone that has a strong need to mock and ridicule someone publicly with impunity will come out of the wordwork to do so.

Kevins Watch is just a case in point.


Which, apparently you yourself are unable to hold back from doing so to others. Wink


She embraced the media and reveled in it's attention, death will not spare her from my ridicule.

But I am interested in why she was a celeb at all.
_________________
httpsss://thoolah.blogspot.com/



[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iQuestor
Unthanked

Ranyhyn
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 2520

Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Location: South of Disorder
468 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Member of THOOLAH1 SRD's Green Rock


PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Anna N Smith's death news worthy anyway? Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
You can say "I don't think it is" but Damelon posted this in another thread and it obvious that a boatload of people do:

Damelon wrote:
In this morning's Chicago Tribune:

Quote:
But news of Smith's death Thursday lit up the Internet and sent mouses clicking far and wide. Between 3 and 4 p.m., chicagotribune.com set a record for most traffic on the Web site since its creation in 1996. The next hour set a new record.



What I find interesting about her in particular is her lack of accomplishment earning her celebrity status.
Or did she just happen to be lucky enough to die during a slow news cycle?

As much as I also can't stand the paparazzi hounding movie celebs I at least understand it a little. Movie stars at least give some kind of entertaining/enjoyment back.
What has ANS ever done?

[I edited this to be a little more specific to the topic of news rather than a human interest story]

Now, wait a second. Not that I am a fan of hers, but:

Quote:
She was a Guess jeans model that got some attention because she wasn't anorexic.

And this is bad because ... ?

Quote:
Then she married a half dead millionaire....who fully died a few months later.

Ok and so ......

Quote:
Then she went to court for a decade to get his money that she didn't deserve.


Ummmm she was married to him, and he did leave her the money. The judge ruled in her favor, obvioulsy in the eyes of the Law she did deserve it. So again.... whats your point?

Quote:

Then she appeared every once in a while on the Howard Stern radio show where she was mocked as a drunken fat slob.

And who has Howard not mocked?

Quote:
The she got her own cable TV show where she showed the world that she was truely a drunken fat slob.

OK, I cannot argue this one.

Quote:

Then she got thin.

OK, and so this is bad because???

Quote:
Then she died on drugs choking on her own vomit.

That is absolutely not true. They have yet to find a cause of death; there were no drugs found in her stomach, and no vomit. This is slander. But dont trust me, look at the article :
www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/09/smith.dies/index.html :

Quote:
Perper said there was no indication of blunt-force trauma, asphyxiation or other physical trauma.

He said Smith had a small bruise on her back, which probably resulted from a fall in the bathtub earlier in the week.

The medical examiner said his office is awaiting results of toxicological and other tests, but there were no drugs in Smith's stomach.

He said if she had taken a large number of pills, some of the medicine would have remained in the stomach.

There also was no evidence of long-term drug abuse, Perper said.

Tiger said no evidence suggests a crime occurred and all witnesses were cooperating with the investigation.

He said police were still analyzing surveillance tapes from the hotel, but so far had seen nothing unusual.



Quote:
Her life was such a mess that now they're fighting to retrieve DNA from her to determine who in fact the father of her kid is.

That is the men talking. She never commented on the father that I am aware. How can she be responsible for what they say?

Quote:
Wait, why does my ANS eulogy make her sound interesting?

Because she is a blond with giant .... personality?
_________________
Becoming Elijah has been released from Calderwood Books!
Korik's Fate
It cannot now be set aside, nor passed on...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Loredoctor
Forensic Researcher

Male
Joined: 14 Jul 2002
Posts: 18609

Thanks: 24
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Location: Melbourne, Victoria
2999 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Calm Horizons1 2007 Watchies1 Ventrue Clan


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
But I am interested in why she was a celeb at all.


Not her fault; because we're like that. Because we're human.
_________________
Waddley wrote:
your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
iQuestor
Unthanked

Ranyhyn
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 2520

Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Location: South of Disorder
468 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Member of THOOLAH1 SRD's Green Rock


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapper439 wrote
Quote:
Because she was, despite all those failures, or perhaps because of ithem, a human being.


Here, here. I didnt like her much, but she was human. like me.
_________________
Becoming Elijah has been released from Calderwood Books!
Korik's Fate
It cannot now be set aside, nor passed on...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
danlo
Lord of Neverness


Joined: 06 Mar 2002
Posts: 20843

Thanks: 43
Thanked 56 Times in 56 Posts

Location: Albuquerque NM
3210 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2005 Watcher of the Year1 Revelwood1 Skyweir


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was the Paris Hilton of her time? The lawyer did it: in the Convservatory with the candlestick...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Prebe
Sure as shit not rolling on shabbat

Male
Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 7917

Thanks: 8
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Location: People's Republic of Denmark
895 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Trumpet


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLT wrote:
But I am interested in why she was a celeb at all.
That's easy: because she was one of the sexiest babes ever to grace the 90's, if not THE most sexy. And her voloptuousnes was (as HLT points out) a much needed novelty. So no, ANS was not a Paris Hilton. She was the incarnation of the femme fatale of the 90's AND hotter than Georgia asphalt (and I'm not talking about the former Soviet republic).

May her memory live forever.
_________________
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Phoogle Map
danlo
Lord of Neverness


Joined: 06 Mar 2002
Posts: 20843

Thanks: 43
Thanked 56 Times in 56 Posts

Location: Albuquerque NM
3210 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2005 Watcher of the Year1 Revelwood1 Skyweir


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but she never did a thing for me--and I like vo-lupts Twisted Evil (the same people who vote for American Idol are the same ones who made all those hits Razz )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
iQuestor
Unthanked

Ranyhyn
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 2520

Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Location: South of Disorder
468 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Member of THOOLAH1 SRD's Green Rock


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prebe wrote:
May her memory live forever.


certain parts of her certainly will Smile
_________________
Becoming Elijah has been released from Calderwood Books!
Korik's Fate
It cannot now be set aside, nor passed on...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
danlo
Lord of Neverness


Joined: 06 Mar 2002
Posts: 20843

Thanks: 43
Thanked 56 Times in 56 Posts

Location: Albuquerque NM
3210 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2005 Watcher of the Year1 Revelwood1 Skyweir


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he did say "memory" right? Confused Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male
Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 7008

Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts

Location: Cape Cod, Mass
2819 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prebe wrote:
HLT wrote:
But I am interested in why she was a celeb at all.
That's easy: because she was one of the sexiest babes ever to grace the 90's, if not THE most sexy. And her voloptuousnes was (as HLT points out) a much needed novelty. So no, ANS was not a Paris Hilton. She was the incarnation of the femme fatale of the 90's AND hotter than Georgia asphalt (and I'm not talking about the former Soviet republic).

May her memory live forever.



Was she more popular out of American then?
Sometime fashion models are bigger (no pun intended in this case!) in Europe.
All I can remember is a few black and white Guess Jeans photos in stores and then nothing until the old man died.
_________________
httpsss://thoolah.blogspot.com/



[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Posts: 38981

Thanks: 18
Thanked 119 Times in 110 Posts

Location: Hell of the Upside Down Sinners
22763 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prebe wrote:
That's easy: because she was one of the sexiest babes ever to grace the 90's, if not THE most sexy. And her voloptuousnes was (as HLT points out) a much needed novelty. So no, ANS was not a Paris Hilton. She was the incarnation of the femme fatale of the 90's AND hotter than Georgia asphalt (and I'm not talking about the former Soviet republic).
I mentioned this in the GenDisc thread....She was smokin' hot. Sure she was a train wreck, so what? I wanted to do dirty things with her, and still do.
_________________
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
_____________
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
_____________
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison
_____________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male
Joined: 02 Mar 2002
Posts: 5428

Thanks: 18
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
5992 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Raver1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must of been one of the few straight males not to find ANS attractive.

Anyway, I'm already sick of the media coverage, and have no idea why it continues. Sure, it's a tragedy, but thousands of people die every day. I don't remember the pope getting this much coverage when he died. The soldiers who die in Iraq deserve more coverage than this.

I don't think I'd ever say this, but I almost want them to go back to covering Election 2008 nonstop. Heh.-jay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Posts: 38981

Thanks: 18
Thanked 119 Times in 110 Posts

Location: Hell of the Upside Down Sinners
22763 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jay, I agree that the coverage is silly. 300 murders a year in Baltimore, but Laci Peterson gets exhaustive coverage because she had a cute smile.
_________________
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
_____________
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
_____________
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison
_____________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male
Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 7008

Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts

Location: Cape Cod, Mass
2819 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
I mentioned this in the GenDisc thread....She was smokin' hot. Sure she was a train wreck, so what? I wanted to do dirty things with her, and still do.



Hey buddy, the Necrophilia forum is that way ---> No

Laughing Wink
_________________
httpsss://thoolah.blogspot.com/



[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Posts: 38981

Thanks: 18
Thanked 119 Times in 110 Posts

Location: Hell of the Upside Down Sinners
22763 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies


PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Cail wrote:
I mentioned this in the GenDisc thread....She was smokin' hot. Sure she was a train wreck, so what? I wanted to do dirty things with her, and still do.



Hey buddy, the Necrophilia forum is that way ---> No

Laughing Wink
Hey, toss her in the oven for a sec to warm her up!
_________________
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
_____________
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
_____________
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison
_____________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by Earthpower © Kevin's Watch