Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Douglas County votes to charge fees for school-bus rides
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15867 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SerScot, the gummint does provide free food to some folks who can't afford it. Cf. food stamps and WIC. Wink

But I understand -- your question isn't "do they," but "should they". And I don't know that I can answer it. There are kids in rural America who live tens of miles from their school thanks to consolidated districts. If their parents work sunup to sundown on the family farm, the most efficient way to get those kids to school is for the gummint to provide transportation.

If I had to guess, I would guess that's how school districts got into the business of busing kids to school -- to make sure the farm parents couldn't use "no transportation" as an excuse to keep the kids home. And then it grew from there.

Not every kid is bused. I was, all throughout my school career. But when my kids were school age, we lived within walking distance of both elementary and middle schools. But their classmates who lived farther away were bused.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

37667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR wrote:
Sure, work is only about 500 meters away, while school is over over 20 kilometers away. sure, should work out fine for the parents.

*Shrug* Like I said, we do it here. It's an inconvenience sure. People get around it with lift clubs and suchlike.

Ali wrote:
There are kids in rural America who live tens of miles from their school thanks to consolidated districts. If their parents work sunup to sundown on the family farm, the most efficient way to get those kids to school is for the gummint to provide transportation.

Over here, those kids walk or take "public transport" such as it is in this country. Was reading a cloumn by a teacher the other day, where she said 2/3rds of her pupils customarily got up at 4am in order to be at school on time.

--A

Harbinger
saving up for a private island

1534 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I don't think it's a question of responsibility. If the gov mandates that a kid should be in school, they should provide a way for the kid to get there. Ya know, some parents us work; and some kids live to far away to walk.

Obviously, it is a parent's responsibility to make their children attend school. But some parents are lax and some kids are sneaky. That's why we used to have truant officers. They actually used to pay "officers" to look for kids playing hooky. Why did they do this? Because they get $$ for each kid that is at school each day. It was $35.00 per child per day when I was in middle school. No idea what it is now. That's why they take roll each morning. If you're not there by a certain time, they don't get the $$ for that day.

The school bus was first utilized by rural school districts where it was impractical for children to walk to school. Why did the schools buy buses and hire drivers? Because they get $$ for each child that is at school each day.

Segregation was another reason for buses. Often, the black children lived far from where the schools were built. Many counties had only one black school to handle all the students.

But the main reason the schools started busing and made it their responsibility is because they get $$ for each child that is at school each day.

Not a lot of people know about that BTW.
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15867 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbinger, we hear about it in Virginia every winter, when the school districts weigh a weather-related closure against the 180-days-in-school rule. Why the rule? Because if the school district doesn't provide 180 days of instruction in a given year, it loses state funding.

But what I think what Av is saying is that we Americans are a bunch of lazy whiners. Wink Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Farsailer
Unfettered One

Male

5567 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have that rule in California too, the one about getting funding for kids who show up. Another way this shows up is in the failure of school districts to move children out of bilingual classrooms when they have shown sufficient proficiency in English. Why is that, you ask? Because school districts get special bilingual education funding for every kid they can keep in a bilingual classroom. So the district has no motivation to mainstream the kids into English-only classrooms, the parents have to demand it. Very screwed up priorities, if you ask me.

37667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Well, I wouldn't have put in quite those terms. Laughing But compared to the rural and semi-rural black kids who get up at 4am, walk 10 or 15 km's barefoot, then take 2 minibus taxis to get to school every day, and reverse the process to get home at night, I think we all have it pretty easy.

If the school provides the service, they're probably allowed to charge for it. (Although the price seems inflated.) If parents don't want to use it, then they have to make other arrangements.

--A

Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

27566 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SerScot wrote:
RR,

Rawedge Rim wrote:
SerScot wrote:
RR,

Again, why is the District's responsibility to see that these children get to school and not the parent's responsibility?

If they can use the force of law to compell me to attend public school, then they can damn well pay to get me there after a certain distance from the school comes into play.

So, because they can use force to require you to feed your children the government should provide you with free food?

The State can tell me which school my kid must attend, unless I decide to enroll the kid in private school. The State still keeps my money to fund the spot my kid would have taken up in public school, and the private school money must come out of my pocket.

OTOH, the State is not allow to tell me where I must feed my kid, or what I must feed my kid, or how much I must spend on the food for my kid, or who must cook the food, or how it must be prepared. I have some amount of control on the costs here, whereas the other I'm stuck with with one of only two choices, one of which costs lots of money, the other involves my giving up the choice of schools that I can send my kid to.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
ur-bane
Re-entering the world of the living

439 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the fact that I pay school district taxes that are supposed to cover the cost of student trtansportation, after-school activities, textbooks, computers, salaries, etc.etc.etc. The biggest drain on the school budget is teachers' salaries. Some, IMO, are overpaid. And for that I blame unions.
Get rid of the union, negotiate fair pay rates, stop paying monthly "Union dues" for each member of the union, and there would be plenty of money to fund transportation.
Heck... eliminating district-paid union dues alone may be enough. One district in NY pays over 500/mo per teacher in union dues! Now THAT'S the real tragedy.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"

37667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I ask who provides it. If the state is supposed to pay for it out of your taxes, you've already paid.

(Say, do you guys pay school fees?)

--A

aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15867 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I ask who provides it. If the state is supposed to pay for it out of your taxes, you've already paid.

--A

Depends on the locality. In most places, public schools are supported by property taxes. In addition, some schools levy user fees on the kids for certain things. When I was a kid, we had to pay a textbook rental fee. My kids were never charged for textbook rental, but in high school we had to pay a locker fee, a towel fee for Phys. Ed., and a couple of other random fees.

In addition, school clubs will do fundraisers -- selling stuff like candy bars and wrapping paper. The Parent-Teacher Association will do bake sales and the like.

But the meat-and-potatoes funding for the schools come from property taxes.

EZ Board Survivor

sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

9047 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think an audit of the school's books is in order. where does the tax money go to? a nice football team?

i agree that the teacher's union should be abolished. maybe then teachers would be held accountable for not doing their jobs.

sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

9047 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.null wrote:
i think an audit of the school's books is in order. where does the tax money go to? a nice football team?

i agree that the teacher's union should be abolished. maybe then teachers would be held accountable for not doing their jobs.

and maybe they could explain why my property taxes keep going up to fund a school that i do not use.

37667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:

--A

Depends on the locality. In most places, public schools are supported by property taxes. In addition, some schools levy user fees on the kids for certain things. When I was a kid, we had to pay a textbook rental fee. My kids were never charged for textbook rental, but in high school we had to pay a locker fee, a towel fee for Phys. Ed., and a couple of other random fees.

In addition, school clubs will do fundraisers -- selling stuff like candy bars and wrapping paper. The Parent-Teacher Association will do bake sales and the like.

But the meat-and-potatoes funding for the schools come from property taxes.

Over here, parents pay the school to teach their children. If you can't afford it, you can apply for subsidisation. Some schools get government funding in addition to the school fees, but you aren't taxed directly for it. (Although obviously it comes from your taxes.

--A

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: