Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Sniper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15240 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: American Sniper Reply with quote

This movie is outstanding! It tells the story of Chris Kile, a Navy Seal who pulled 4 tours in Iraq. The battle sequences are tense and realistic. I'm not a huge fan of Bradley Cooper, who plays Kile, but I'll give him credit for this role. He deserves the Oscar nomination for Best Actor.
Be True

32045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you haven't gotten any responses for your thread. I haven't seen it, but I intend to take the family this weekend. The controversy over the film is pretty hilarious and sometimes outrageous. This could easily go in the Tank, but I won't take it in that direction here. Glad you enjoyed it.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
michaelm
Kevin's Watchmaker

Male

3597 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Covenant's Novels1 Earthblood1 Skyweir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
The controversy over the film is pretty hilarious and sometimes outrageous.

The criticism seems a bit over the top and from what I gather the real Chris Kile was much more outrageous in his comments and attitude than the one portrayed in the film.
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15240 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
I can't believe you haven't gotten any responses for your thread.

I'm surprised also. I thought maybe some people were avoiding the controversy. I hope you and your family will enjoy it!
Lord

2359 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very good. I saw it last weekend. I've read reviews that state that it is basically a western set in the Middle East. I think that is pretty close to the mark. Chris Kyle's sense of duty, very much like the hero of a western, very much underlies the movie.

Most of the group that I went with didn't care for the ending, but I thought the movie doesn't work without the last 15 or so minutes. It was just a shoot em up otherwise. It's the first movie I've ever been to where 95% of the audience sat through the credits, for the credits finish the story.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12600 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper is exceptional and Eastwood hits all the right notes. Must see
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

91865 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it but the plot sounds a lot like that of "Nation's Pride", the fake movie set inside the plot of Inglorious Basterds--a sniper who is filled with a sense of duty makes his country proud by killing the enemy.

Of more interest here is that the trial of his killer is still happening in Stephenville, a mere 1.5 hours away.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12600 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi, perhaps you should not speak about facts of which you are ignorant. You and Seth Rogen are quite mistaken, in my opinion. There is nothing cartoonish or whimsical about blowing away women and children to protect others they are trying to kill.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

91865 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said the overall plot; I never said I knew the specifics of the story. In fact, I couldn't care less about this guy's story. He is a sniper so his job is to kill people and sometimes that means killing people he might not want to kill. If he didn't want to do it then he could have quit, not signed up for that service, requested a transfer, or whatever else. If you want to be a sniper then you kill whomever you are told to kill regardless of your personal feelings.

There wasn't anything cartoonish or whimsical about Nation's Pride, either. I maintain my opinion.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12600 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
I said the overall plot; I never said I knew the specifics of the story. In fact, I couldn't care less about this guy's story. He is a sniper so his job is to kill people and sometimes that means killing people he might not want to kill. If he didn't want to do it then he could have quit, not signed up for that service, requested a transfer, or whatever else. If you want to be a sniper then you kill whomever you are told to kill regardless of your personal feelings.

There wasn't anything cartoonish or whimsical about Nation's Pride, either. I maintain my opinion.

What a joke.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12600 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And noted that you either can't recognize campy farce, or can't distinguish it from reality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: