Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSNBC/Romney

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22763 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: MSNBC/Romney Reply with quote

I normally don't pay a lot of attention to tripe like this, but this is what the Fourth Estate likes to cover, so I'm exposed to it whether I want to be or not.

The long and the short of it is that [url=politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/30/msnbc-panel-makes-fun-of-romney-photo-with-black-grandchild/]the Romneys adopted a black child, and a bunch of blacks on MSNBC made fun of the Romney's Christmas card[/url].
Quote:
MSNBC panelists on Monday faced criticism after poking fun at a photo of Mitt Romney, his wife and their nearly two dozen grandchildren, zeroing in on the Romneys' recently adopted African-American grandchild, Kieran.

During the segment, which appeared on the show "Melissa Harris-Perry," the panelists made jokes about the infant standing out.

Two panelists later said their comments weren’t directed at the baby and apologized if the family was offended.

Asked Sunday to come up with captions for the photo as part of a game they were playing, one of panelists, actress Pia Glenn, started singing lines from the song popularized by Sesame Street: "One of These Things Is Not Like the Others."

Another panelist, comedian Dean Obeidallah, said the picture "really sums up the diversity of the Republican Party." (Obeidallah appears frequently on CNN and writes a regular opinion column for CNN.com.)

Now I've got a bunch of problems with this, starting with the fact that neither Madonna nor Angelina Jolie took any crap for adopting babies that didn't match their skin color.

Further, this flies in face of the common argument in abortion discussions that rich, white, conservative Christians will only adopt perfect white babies.

But what really frosts me here is the implication that black babies don't belong with conservatives (that is the next line of the song..."one of these things doesn't belong").

Whether you're a fan of the Romney's politics or religious beliefs is immaterial, the family should be applauded for practicing what they preach.

What was said on Melissa Harris-Perry's show was reprehensible.....Far worse than anything uttered by Phil Robertson.....But I'll bet there's no backlash here.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

20161 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...... just totally blown away and all good points Cail. The same groups that like to point out the 'hate' in the Republican/conservative party doesnt seem to walk the walk when the shoes are reversed.

Would the same thing have happened had the President adopted a white kid? And if it did wouldnt there be outrage? Where is the outrage in this instance?

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
SerScot
That GRRM fan. ;) (7/12/11)

Male

21863 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Revelwood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll gloss over it as poorly thought out "Humor".
SerScot
That GRRM fan. ;) (7/12/11)

Male

21863 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Revelwood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or not. This is the current front page of CNN:

www.cnn.com/
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

47877 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MSNBC/Romney Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
Now I've got a bunch of problems with this, starting with the fact that neither Madonna nor Angelina Jolie took any crap for adopting babies that didn't match their skin color.

But I am willing to bet that EVERY politician who adopted a minority child after being thoroughly politically trounced for a lack of minority appeal got EXACTLY the same treatment.

Apples and apples, please. Or, as I like to say, you can make anything look wrong when you strip it of all necessary context.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22763 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MSNBC/Romney Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
Cail wrote:

But I am willing to bet that EVERY politician who adopted a minority child after being thoroughly politically trounced for a lack of minority appeal got EXACTLY the same treatment.

Apples and apples, please. Or, as I like to say, you can make anything look wrong when you strip it of all necessary context.
So because the media painted Romney as an uncaring, unfeeling racist, this is cool?

I don't think so.

This is an incredibly tone-deaf thing for people to jump on, especially given the number of biracial families out there (not to mention the POTUS coming from a biracial family).

Look, I'm just making the point here that MSNBC is a mouthpiece for the far progressive Left, and yet it seems that they in particular seem to be stoking divisive and hateful fires of late.

By all indications the Romneys are good people. They've done something that should be celebrated. Instead they're trounced over something stupid. Imagine the calls of "whitewashing" that would be flying around had they not included the child in their family picture.

And more to the point, so what? It's not like Mitt Romney's ever going to run for office again. He's a political no one at this point. This is just a vicious attack on the man and his family.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

89802 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we call "racism"--making fun of someone or pointing out differences in skin color for the purposes of humiliation or getting a laugh at their expense.

Some black people face a problem that others, even other black people, do not--if they don't live or act "black enough" then they risk being called a "race traitor". What the hell is a "race traitor", anyway? That doesn't make any sense. I suspect this child, when he/she is older, will be called that at least once. The other concept--that of "black enough"--doesn't make any sense, either, but I have heard it said before. What is "black enough"? Who gets to determine what "black enough" means? That you have to speak a certain way or listen to certain types of music or live a certain way?

Being able to laugh this off as "it's just humor" will work only if you are a stand-up comic, not a panelist on a talking head show.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

6108 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cail, you don't get it. You're pointing out something wrong in liberal mindset. Therefore, you must have something wrong - oh yes, context. That's it.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22763 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What frustrates me to no end is the constant harping on race that comes from people who self-identify as "liberal" or "Democrat". A good friend of mine who has been married to his black wife for nearly 20 years and who has two beautiful mixed-race daughters sees no issue with this at all. I don't get it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: