Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd read and...my mother of all reversals
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Runes of the Earth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male
Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 7001

Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts

Location: Cape Cod, Mass
2783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: 2nd read and...my mother of all reversals Reply with quote

2nd read...it's like a totally different book.
So....wtf?
Laughing

I did a full reread of Runes last week and I swear to god it was like someone rewrote it when I wasn't looking.
It wasn't disappointing at all.

Now, I know I had built it up in my head in the years before hearing about the Last Chronicles. I'm sure I was expecting lightning to strike me like it did Joan but I remember thinking that it kinda sucked.
In the years that followed I only skim read or went to the parts that interested me.
This time I read it from beginning to end and it was great!

There were no dead spots and it had a very fast pace.
I know it's probably because I was able to fill in many of the questions I had upon my first read through.

And.....
And..................
..................................................
.............................................................
Jesus Christ, I'll just say it.
Linden kicked some ass and did some serious shit.
She had absolutely no clue what was going on but still made some decisive decisions.
Linden: "I'm going to go 2000+ years backwards in time through a Ceasure (against the stream), find the Staff of Law (that no one else have been able to find in over a 1000+ years)and come back the same way.(oh and all within about 24 hours)"
That's like a f#cking Chuck Norris type of decision.

Her attitude in the Second Chronicles?
"Oh Nooooooo....."
"Help!"
"Cry......whine...be hopeless......"

In the Last?
Her attitude towards the Haruchai? F-U.
Her attitude towards the Elohim? F-U.
Her attitude towards Lord Foul? F-U, give me my son back or I will f#ck you up beyond imagining.

She's bad-ass.

I know, I've been immediately banned from THOOLAH and my expulsion will be taken up at the next meeting.
She still sucks in the 2nd Chronicles though.

I start Fatal Revenant tonight.
_________________
httpsss://thoolah.blogspot.com/



[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!


Last edited by High Lord Tolkien on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bikebryan
Ramen


Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 88

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts


318 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linden did not suck in the first chronicles. That would be impossible since she was not IN the first chronicles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male
Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 7001

Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts

Location: Cape Cod, Mass
2783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory


PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikebryan wrote:
Linden did not suck in the first chronicles. That would be impossible since she was not IN the first chronicles.


Just a typo dude.
_________________
httpsss://thoolah.blogspot.com/



[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 19618

Thanks: 11
Thanked 240 Times in 219 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
46501 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLT, your post made me laugh until I wept.

"Jesus Christ, I'll just say it. Linden kicked some ass."

Good for you, man. Good for you.
_________________
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 14346

Thanks: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts

Location: Jacksboro, TN.
15135 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies


PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only am I banning you from THOOLAH, I'm changing your name to "Benedict Tolkien." Bloody traitor! Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Vraith
Obligate Metaphor


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 10620

Thanks: 17
Thanked 100 Times in 97 Posts

Location: everywhere, all the time
31673 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure


PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd read and...my mother of all reversals Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:

She's bad-ass.


Short list of things I would have thought more likely than ever seeing you say that:
Z converting to Catholicism and becoming Pope Z.
Cail giving up biking for a pair of Sketchers and a pink lycra body-suit.
Me throwing up everything and rededicating my life to become Glenn Beck's best friend and chief of staff.

Heh...hopefully you won't change back, and peeps start to believe you're just a tease.
_________________
Spoiler:
Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.

the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cameraman Jenn
Arch Pimpager

FemaleRanyhyn
Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 13280

Thanks: 6
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts

Location: Albuquerque NM (The Land of Enchantment)
623777 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Sandgorgon2 Ur-vile1 Waynhim


PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you HLT.
_________________
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male
Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 5346

Thanks: 69
Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts

Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland
8234 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered1 Member of THOOLAH1 2011 Watchies


PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLT, I rename you HLQ, HIGH LORD QUISLING!

THOOLAH!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn
Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 23228

Thanks: 33
Thanked 91 Times in 90 Posts

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
150291 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come join us in OPAL then, HLT.
Sure you didn't totally reverse your opinion?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 1827

Thanks: 0
Thanked 61 Times in 58 Posts

Location: Gianthome
1912 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Giant1 Giant Ship1 Mount Thunder


PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd read and...my mother of all reversals Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:

Her attitude in the Second Chronicles?
"Oh Nooooooo....."
"Help!"
"Cry......whine...be hopeless......"


Aaand this could just as well be the 1st chrons Covenant moaning about. Wink In Linden's defense: she determinately started using her health sense to aid other people way before Thomas could figure out how to properly wield his power. Besides, her psyche was pretty fragging messed up ere she was able to open up to him, so therefore I'm fairly tolerant of her behavior (not to mention that she's one of the few, believable female anti-heroes in existence, which semi-automatically turns her bloody awesome).

Regarding the 3rd chrons, however, I'm still dillydallying around the outskirts of OPAL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn
Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 23228

Thanks: 33
Thanked 91 Times in 90 Posts

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
150291 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd read and...my mother of all reversals Reply with quote

Zorm wrote:
Regarding the 3rd chrons, however, I'm still dillydallying around the outskirts of OPAL.

Thumbs Up
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 19618

Thanks: 11
Thanked 240 Times in 219 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
46501 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick a side. The Land's at war. Confused
_________________
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vraith
Obligate Metaphor


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 10620

Thanks: 17
Thanked 100 Times in 97 Posts

Location: everywhere, all the time
31673 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure


PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd read and...my mother of all reversals Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:
Zorm wrote:
Regarding the 3rd chrons, however, I'm still dillydallying around the outskirts of OPAL.

Thumbs Up


Really? A thumbs up?
Are you both freakin crazy?
Even Lord Foul doesn't dare dillydally with Linden's skirts or anything else.
_________________
Spoiler:
Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.

the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male
Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 7001

Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts

Location: Cape Cod, Mass
2783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory


PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, OPAL is like buying a lottery ticket after the numbers have been revealed and then claiming victory.
You guys are the worst.
_________________
httpsss://thoolah.blogspot.com/



[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn
Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 23228

Thanks: 33
Thanked 91 Times in 90 Posts

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
150291 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd read and...my mother of all reversals Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:
Menolly wrote:
Zorm wrote:
Regarding the 3rd chrons, however, I'm still dillydallying around the outskirts of OPAL.

Thumbs Up


Really? A thumbs up?
Are you both freakin crazy?
Even Lord Foul doesn't dare dillydally with Linden's skirts or anything else.



Be that as it may, Zorm's dillydallying around OPAL's outskirts, not Linden's...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 1827

Thanks: 0
Thanked 61 Times in 58 Posts

Location: Gianthome
1912 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Giant1 Giant Ship1 Mount Thunder


PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd read and...my mother of all reversals Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:
Vraith wrote:
Menolly wrote:
Zorm wrote:
Regarding the 3rd chrons, however, I'm still dillydallying around the outskirts of OPAL.

Thumbs Up


Really? A thumbs up?
Are you both freakin crazy?
Even Lord Foul doesn't dare dillydally with Linden's skirts or anything else.



Be that as it may, Zorm's dillydallying around OPAL's outskirts, not Linden's...


Laughing Laughing Razz
I say we leave Linden's skirts to Covenant. Whether they be outer or inner.

I promise to pick a side after re-reading the 3rd chrons, though that'll have to wait till next year. I still have some time left ere The Last Dark falls. If you guys have a 2nd-chrons-specific LA wagon, however, I'm happy to jump in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
ninjaboy
Son of Insequent

Male
Joined: 06 Dec 2007
Posts: 526

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Location: Melbourne, Australia
1896 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, and very similar to my experience.. I was never a THOOLAH member but..

First time I reat it I was a bit disappointed..

Then when I read it again I was mesmerized.. It was a completely different book the second time, and it's awesome now!!
_________________
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male
Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 24056

Thanks: 74
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts

Location: Tampa, Florida
11240 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman


PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLT...really?

I am a hardcore THOOLAH member to be sure.
The positive things that folks mention about Linden are all true to a degree however it seems kind of forced and fake to me. I can't explain exactly why I feel this way but there it is.
The "kick-ass" aspect of Linden in the Last Chrons is simply not debatable however I don't believe it any more than I believe that her love of Jeremiah is as strong as it is supposed to be. I don't buy it because it wasn't explained or demonstrated to my satisfaction in the beginning therefore all of her actions on his behalf seem like a bad actress going through the motions according to a script, kick-ass and all.

I will say that I too may change my mind if I were to re read Runes etc.
We'll see.

In any case sorry to lose you Bub. Sad

Btw I apologize to all of you Linden fans. I mean no disrespect to you or your beliefs and tastes. Humans are as individual and unique as snowflakes which is what makes us so interesting. Smile
_________________
Quote:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"




"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
caamora
The Purifier


Joined: 23 May 2002
Posts: 1994

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Location: Southern California
1058 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, maybe I will have to pick the book up again.
_________________
Have you ever been going somewhere with a crowd and you're certain it's the wrong road and you tell them, but they won't listen, so you just have to plod along in what you know is the wrong direction till somebody more important gets the same idea?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
deer of the dawn
On a mission from God

FemaleRanyhyn
Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 6598

Thanks: 50
Thanked 56 Times in 54 Posts

Location: Jos, Nigeria
10854 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin1 Oath of Peace1 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it!! Then join me in the Re-reading 2012 thread I started!!

Quote:
That's like a f#cking Chuck Norris type of decision.

Oh YEAH!!!!
_________________
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Runes of the Earth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by Earthpower © Kevin's Watch