Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insanity of the Left
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra
Be True

32046 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' - and switch to 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead

WTF???
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8218 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z - this is beyond stupid. Big Brother/thoughtcrime.

how do even pronounce XYR?

Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12682 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck them.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

37045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's ridiculous...how can this not be a hoax?

--A

Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

8280 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're suggestions made by a special interest group who don't really care if they get "officially implemented" because they'll be talked about.

Ultimately, it will sway some young, naive freshmen that want to do the right thing and will produce nearly the same result the Don had: "Well, they can go fuck themselves".

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Vraith
Obligate Metaphor

31675 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sorta go with the wtf? on this one. [although, like other things that have come up, it should be noted that this isn't a rule, law, or control.]
Cuz the argument could easily be made that implementing it might "offend"
the delicate folk who get all in a tizzy---"I'm a MAN/WOMAN, that's a HE/SHE damnit...don't point your zhe/xir [or whatever those substitutes were] at me.
"
Wink

the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

8218 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in houston the issue of bathrooms and gender has become an issue.

A final vote was pushed back earlier this month after critics raised issues with what’s been dubbed “the bathroom clause.” Parents and others expressed concerns that transgender people would be allowed to use public restrooms of the gender in which they identify themselves. The clause was ultimately removed, but transgender people can still file a discrimination complaint under the process outlined for all protected classes.

Zarathustra
Be True

32046 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that society has gotten to the point where transgendered people can even get a foothold on the argument of bathrooms. It's already a damn precarious, sensitive situation to begin with. I mean, I can't think of another place in our society where you can pull your dick out a few feet from a 5-yr-old kid and not get arrested! If we were talking about a situation that only involved adults, that would be one thing. But my piss break is not your social cause, nor your social experiment.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

8280 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
I can't believe that society has gotten to the point where transgendered people can even get a foothold on the argument of bathrooms. It's already a damn precarious, sensitive situation to begin with. I mean, I can't think of another place in our society where you can pull your dick out a few feet from a 5-yr-old kid and not get arrested! If we were talking about a situation that only involved adults, that would be one thing. But my piss break is not your social cause, nor your social experiment.
Well, the whole "pull out your genitals/take a shit mere feet away from a minor" does not really go away if you throw out the transgendered concerns. That issue still remains, and yet we ignore it in that instance.

As far as with the transgendered concern: if you have a trans-male who looks like a male but is biologically a female, what is going to be more uncomfortable: someone looking like a burly dude using a woman's restroom or that same person using a stall in a men's restroom?

I think this a propriety issue and has little to no bearing on what the Huckabees of the world think it means (i.e. that some pervert will decide to take advantage. The newsflash is perverts will still invade this private place, legislating against transgender does not actually address perverts or drunks or pedophile predators, but I digress)

Anyway, it's a propriety issue and I think can be mostly handled just by society simply by taking into account that we tend not to like members of the opposite sex around where we defecate/piss. If we can not tell, it does not matter.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

92534 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' - and switch to 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead

WTF???

The issue of transgendered folk and restrooms is simple--just make all restrooms unisex and make it so the doors lock from the inside. If you go in and you don't want someone else coming in after you then lock the door. Simple.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

20208 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Post

Gotta agree Hashi!

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch

37045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:

As far as with the transgendered concern: if you have a trans-male who looks like a male but is biologically a female, what is going to be more uncomfortable: someone looking like a burly dude using a woman's restroom or that same person using a stall in a men's restroom?

Agreed.

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

The issue of transgendered folk and restrooms is simple--just make all restrooms unisex and make it so the doors lock from the inside. If you go in and you don't want someone else coming in after you then lock the door. Simple.

Also agreed. And exactly.

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

32046 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:

I honestly don't know what's more uncomfortable. Perhaps little girls having to go potty with big burly men in dresses would be the most uncomfortable. But why are we attempting to rank this? The entire situation is difficult--even genetic males in drag using the male bathroom. Stalls aren't the issue in men's restrooms. It's the urinals. Standing shoulder to shoulder with a man in a dress who most likely is turned on by other men. Yes, I realize that gay men also use restrooms, but they're usually discrete about it. Ain't nothing discrete about a man in a dress.

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

Also agreed. And exactly.

--A
Yes. 300+ million people must change their bathroom customs so that a tiny fraction of people who can't accept their genitals will force us to accept their own inability to accept themselves. Simple. Rolling Eyes

How would that work at a movie theater? You've got half a dozen stalls and even more urinals. A movie ends and 50 people need to piss at once. But every single person locks the door after entering. Must every business in America redesign their bathrooms to accommodate this tiny fraction of patrons so that bathrooms across the country are all multiple instances of single-serve "closets?" Insane. The opposite of "simple."

How about if you know you're going to be in a situation where you have to use a public restroom, you don't go out in drag? Unless it's a gay bar. It's not like anyone forces men to dress like women. Unlike sexual orientation, clothing is a choice.

SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

20208 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Post

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

92534 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't meant to be a "one size fits all" solution. Clearly, not all restrooms can be retrofitted with locks, especially in those cases where the restroom has no doors at all, only a u-turn entryway. The situation usually presented, though, of some pervert pretending to be trans and going into the ladies' room just to try and sneak a peek at some little girl in a stall is a "what if" scenario much like "what if an asteroid hits the Earth?". Possible? Yes. Likely? Remote. Should we worry about it every time we let our daughter go to the ladies' room while out in public? No.

The point is that this whole restroom nonsense is a non-issue. The number of trans people is so small that for all practical purposes--nothing personal, trans folks--they don't matter. There are more people who will claim to be trans because it is "cool" or "trendy" right now than there are actual trans people. It will also be used as an excuse to try and get out of a potentially bad situation because a pervert got caught--"I went in there because I identify as a woman; it's who I am".

I am no expert on the situation but I still maintain that people who are trans are going to find out that trying to become the gender you feel you are isn't going to solve the real problems you are facing, from an emotional point of view. Changing your pieces and parts on the outside cannot fix the things that are on the inside.

Back to the other topic....

Certain people feel that if they can control speech, if they can make the rest of us feel guilty for what we say or how we say it, then they will wind up being the ones in power. Not necessarily political power, mind you, but power nonetheless. People worrying about microaggressions, disinviting speakers with whom you disagree, alternate pronouns, its' all bullshit designed to control and limit speech and I won't put up with it. You want alternate pronouns? Why not just refer to everyone as "it" for singular or "them" for plural? (or "y'all" if you are from Texas) Alternatively, you could sound stuffy and use "one" but no one speaks in that manner any more.

Anyway....these people want to prevent anyone from feeling even the slightest hint of discomfort. Who the hell do you think you are that you get to go through life in a state of perpetual comfort? You want the whole world to be like kindergarten where everyone shares and everyone plays nicely? Not only is that not the world in which you live but it is a world in which no one should want to live. Why don't you try growing up for a change?

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

37045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Standing shoulder to shoulder with a man in a dress who most likely is turned on by other men. Yes, I realize that gay men also use restrooms, but they're usually discrete about it. Ain't nothing discrete about a man in a dress.

So it's all right as long as you don't have to think about the possibility? Very Happy

--A

sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

8218 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the prison we go by the gender on their birth certificate. and if we have one in transition they go to their birth gender unit and we lock them up to keep them safe.

and now read stories of judges forcing the state to pay for gender reassignment surgery on the state's dime.

www.dailynews.com/social-affairs/20150810/california-agrees-to-pay-for-sex-reassignment-surgery-for-transgender-inmate

it's a mad, mad world./

SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

20208 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This

People are tired of it.
Quote:

“With using the staff bathroom, I felt like I was being segregated off, like: ‘Here are the boys, here are the girls, this is me,'” she told the TV station. “And I wanted to help blend in with all the other girls.”

“I wasn’t hurting anyone,” she told the Post-Dispatch. “I am a girl. I am not going to be pushed away to another bathroom.”

That issue came to a boil on Monday morning, when students walked out of class in protest and Lila locked herself inside her counselor’s office in fear.

37045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are going to have to get used to it. Very Happy

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

92534 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
This

People are tired of it.

How do we know he isn't just pretending so he can get some small measure of fame and a few free sneak peeks in the girls' locker room?

Here is the problem that the trans community faces--the rest of us have to take you at your word that you are. We don't live inside your head and so we have no choice but to presume you are telling the truth until evidence proves otherwise. Another issue is that even if you really feel that you are some gender other than what you see in the mirror, you aren't going to die if you don't get reassignment. If you look at yourself in the mirror and you are uncomfortable with what you see the problem isn't what you see in the mirror; rather, the problem exists inside your mind--somewhere along the way, someone or something made you feel uncomfortable with yourself and deciding that you are trans is the expression of that discomfort. In other words, if you don't like yourself as a male you aren't going to fundamentally like yourself as a female, either--you are still you inside your mind.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 3 of 95

Jump to: