Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insanity of the Right
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
6301 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Raver1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Insanity of the Right Reply with quote

[url=blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/07/26/donald-trump-tops-gop-field-in-new-hampshire-second-in-iowa-poll/]Donald Trump Tops GOP Field in New Hampshire, Second in Iowa: Poll [/url]

-jay
Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not all that crazy. People are sick of corrupt, spineless politicians who only speak in PC-approved language and cringe in fear of how the biased media will portray them.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

8280 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
It's not all that crazy. People are sick of corrupt, spineless politicians who only speak in PC-approved language and cringe in fear of how the biased media will portray them.
So the solution is to support a corrupt, spineless politicians who Does Not speak in PC-approved language and jerks himself at the thought of how the biased media will portray him?

No thank you, swiping out a turd and replacing it with one in a bad wig is not an improvement.

Of course, this is mostly just a circus-like pre-show for the election. The only way Trump will affect things is by running Independent, thus moving closer to a Democrat victory. But Trump likes being a martyr, so that won't keep him up at night.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said it before and I will say it again: the RNC will never give Trump the nomination.

I don't think he really wants the nomination, anyway. I think he is trying to set himself up as a kingmaker. Picture it: 6 weeks until the convention and suddenly he throws all his support (and supporters) behind some other candidate whom the RNC might nominate. If that person wants the top spot they will gladly accept his recommendation, endorsement, and supporting votes.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't see what these responses are based on. If Trump wins the delegates, he gets the nomination. It's not like Republicans don't have a history of running rich businessmen. The very last presidential candidate ??

Orlion, what makes you think Trump is either corrupt or spineless? Having bad hair doesn't make you a bad person.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

8280 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Orlion, what makes you think Trump is either corrupt or spineless? Having bad hair doesn't make you a bad person.

Funny how you want me to categorize that while your off-the-cuff remark on an indeterminate number of politicians being corrupt or spineless remains unchallenged?

As far as the bad hair comment, it was in reference to my "a piece of shit is a piece of shit" comment, even with the bad hair!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably merge this into the "2016 Prognostication" thread....but...we have an "Insanity of the Left" thread so in the interest of equity we should have an "Insanity of the Right" thread, as well.

Besides, the Left and the Right are both insane and the Libertarians offer us the best way to fix some of the ills afflicting us at this time.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O, "politicians are corrupt" is just one of those truisms like "power corrupts." Politicians usually have nothing else to offer besides their desire for power. They often possess no skills besides marketing themselves ... which usually means learning how to get rich people to fund your campaign, and then spend your time in power repaying these debts through crony capitalism.

Someone who is not a politician, who is self-funded, already avoids these problems. He may be corrupt (I don't know), but not in the clichéd way of those who run our government.

kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
6301 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
I should probably merge this into the "2016 Prognostication" thread....but...we have an "Insanity of the Left" thread so in the interest of equity we should have an "Insanity of the Right" thread, as well.

Sorry, I knew it was redundant, but I wanted to make the Watch "Fair and Balanced". Big Grin

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
I don't think he really wants the nomination, anyway. I think he is trying to set himself up as a kingmaker. Picture it: 6 weeks until the convention and suddenly he throws all his support (and supporters) behind some other candidate whom the RNC might nominate. If that person wants the top spot they will gladly accept his recommendation, endorsement, and supporting votes.

I think you're right. I definitely hope you're right. But I think you're on the right track with the Donald. He doesn't strike me as someone who particularly *wants* to be POTUS. He seems to get just as much joy and satisfaction running for President as he does from hosting "Celebrity Apprentice".

-jay
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

2799 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A self-funded non-politician is one thing. We did that back in 1992 with H Ross Perot. Whatever may be said about Perot, he was not the buffoon that Trump is. If anything, Trump reminds me of Perot's VP pick, Admiral Stockdale. The principal difference is that Stockdale was self-aware enough to ask "Who am I? Why am I here?"

Yes, that was a shallow characterization. Intentionally so, in the spirit of how Trump speaks superficially of others.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

8280 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
O, "politicians are corrupt" is just one of those truisms like "power corrupts." Politicians usually have nothing else to offer besides their desire for power. They often possess no skills besides marketing themselves ... which usually means learning how to get rich people to fund your campaign, and then spend your time in power repaying these debts through crony capitalism.
I agree and often make use of that truism. Truth of the matter is I was stalling Razz

Quote:
Someone who is not a politician, who is self-funded, already avoids these problems. He may be corrupt (I don't know), but not in the clichéd way of those who run our government.
I always thought a businessman could raise funds much like a politician, that it was part of their jobs (get the investments, etc)... but on further contemplation, this might actually not be the case. Maybe some good came out of my stalling after all!

Now for my true explanation: I don't see a significant difference between Trump and other Republican candidates. Most of his positions are ones that are shared by his Primary opponents and (going by the polls) the Republican Base he is courting. I might say that the main difference is unapologetic off-the-cuff remarks, but Cruz, Paul, and Huckabee have been making those as well. The media just doesn't find them nearly as interesting, perhaps.

-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

37633 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a reality TV star. Very Happy Before his comment about the immigrants, NBC gave him a massive raise when he announced his intentions... nypost.com/2011/06/22/nbc-gives-donald-a-trump-sized-raise-to-160m

Sure, they dropped him afterwards, but it looks like he may successfully sue them.

I think Hashi is onto something.

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a reality TV star. Very Happy
--A
A reality TV star who sounds more like a real person than any of the scripted, handled, consultant-prepared politicians. Yes, he says some stuff that sounds undiplomatic, but for people to say he's dumb or a buffoon is nonsense. Buffoons don't amass a $10 billion fortune.

His negative opinion ratings within his own party are the worst for any candidate in the field--despite his lead in the polls--so that's probably why Hashi says he doesn't have a chance. But I honestly think that will turn around. I think it's driven by people who are (like much of the GOP) terrified of looking bad. They fear Trump will make them look like racists, buffoons, ect. It's odd that Dems never have this fear (e.g. Biden, Reid, Byrd, etc.). Once Reps get over their timidity, I think they could bring themselves to embrace The Donald.

The ones who sound smartest in this race are Rubio, Jindal, Cruz. And they're at the bottom of the heap. Walker didn't graduate college, and he's calling Trump a "dumbdumb?" Seriously?

Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22810 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His biggest problem is that he's not a Republican. Sure, he's spouting a lot of lowest-common-denominator populist BS that's playing well with the base, but he's historically (pre-Obama) been pretty far to the Left.

He's offered no policy plans, no details about how he'd do anything, and has no track record to run on. In fact, he's damn similar to Obama when he was running......All style (such as it is) and no substance.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
His biggest problem is that he's not a Republican. Sure, he's spouting a lot of lowest-common-denominator populist BS that's playing well with the base, but he's historically (pre-Obama) been pretty far to the Left.

He's offered no policy plans, no details about how he'd do anything, and has no track record to run on. In fact, he's damn similar to Obama when he was running......All style (such as it is) and no substance.

I hate being in the position of constantly defending Trump, but even the Devil needs an Advocate. Cool He's nothing at all like Obama. Obama never had a job in the private sector. Obama is nothing but an 'intellectual' and community organizer. He knows nothing about the economy except what he's read in books. He had no executive experience. Trump has got real world experience, real world knowledge of the global economy, and buttloads of executive experience. Trump is no ideologue (like Obama). They're almost exact opposites!

He has offered specific plans ... though they might sound a little crazy. He has said he'd build (or extend) the wall on the southern border, and even get Mexico to pay for it--since they're in cahoots with the cartels and human traffickers who are offloading their poverty problems on the U.S. And he has said he'd attack ISIS by bombing their oil fields, taking away their billions of revenue which the use to pay their soldiers. Ballsy ... and specific!

I also think he'd be a much better negotiator than Obama/Kerry team. There's no way he would have collapsed on the Iran deal the way they did.

Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22810 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Trump has the real-world experience of bankrupting himself four times. That's presidential material to me!
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

6301 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:

Seriously. If he's serious about running for President, time for him to put up or shut up. Offer some hint about what a Trump presidency would mean, policy-wise. Besides just saying "I'm a winner, I'll make a billion jobs, and everyone else is a loser" over and over.

-jay
Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
Yes, Trump has the real-world experience of bankrupting himself four times. That's presidential material to me!
4 times out of 500 companies he owns, as I've pointed out before.

The question is not whether he is infallible, but whether he learns from his mistakes (as Obama has shown stubborn resistance to change, despite his campaign slogan). Achieving anything of worth takes risk, and sometimes that means failure. Clearly, his bankruptcies didn't ruin him. It looks like he took that experience and made it part of his overall knowledge.

I'd be wary of electing anyone who hasn't had enough experience to encounter a failure or two. (Seems Donaldson had some pretty insightful comments about the dangers of innocence ... )

Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22810 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously Zar....What's his plan on jobs? What's his foreign policy look like? What's his stance and his plan for domestic surveillance?

Other than yelling and speaking off the cuff like a "regular" person, what substance does he have?
Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail, tune in tonight and find out, I guess. First debate on Fox.

He has given a fairly in depth interview to Anderson Cooper, and Coop did a pretty good job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: