Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pressure Cooking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
150820 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! To follow up on the previous post, the corporate sponsored Instant Pot Facebook page had a contest to give away a 6-quart Duo Evo Plus to three winners, and I was one of them! So, while I didn't get the 8-quart model of the Duo Evo Plus, I do now have four Instant Pots.

However, since I'm not a fan of the interface on the Ultra model, and it is in practically brand new condition due to it barely being used, it is currently boxed up with all of its manuals and accessories and will be a Chr-stmas gift down the road.

So far I have only done the water test in the new Duo Evo Plus, but doing that has already impressed me.

Anyway, in other Instant Pot news...

So, apparently there is a snack called Korean 7 hour Sauna eggs, which can be made in the Instant Pot in 3 hours. I decided to give them a try. They're definitely different in flavor than a typical hard cooked egg. I liked them, but want to try pickling them to see if I'll like them even more.

I did a photo essay on Facebook of the process, should you want to check it out. Here is the final photo, showing a whole peeled Korean Sauna egg and one sliced in half.

The color change of the whites is due to the long cook time under pressure in the shell. There is no soy sauce or other marinade ingredients on the egg.
not canon

23443 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. How does the texture compare to the regular version?

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my pallet, the taste and texture of the whites were pretty much the same. I cooked them on high pressure, per the instructions, so the whites were a little more rubbery than my standard hard cooked eggs I do for 2 minutes on low pressure followed by a 7 minute Natural Pressure Release.

The yolks were actually still somewhat creamy. I totally expected them to be like sawdust. But the flavor was very different. Almost a smokey roasted flavor.

The yolks did have a green ring around them. But any sulfuric taste was either covered up by or merged with the smokiness of the yolks themselves.

I do think I'll try them on low pressure for the 2.5 hours next time I make them. Just to see if I can get the same flavor profile with more tender whites.
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plopped two of the Korean Sauna eggs in to planned over dill pickle juice. We'll see how they turn out in a week or so.

not canon

23443 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really been into pickled stuff, but the regular versions sounds like it'd be good with an English muffin.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan, Sorus!

I added one of the Korean Sauna eggs to my tuna salad. I honestly did not notice a difference in flavor from a standard hard cooked egg addition to it. I know both SD and dam-sel had some of the tuna as well, but I have not heard if they noticed a smokiness to it, either.
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

2633 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was content to not notice the egg in the tuna.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made another batch of the Korean Sauna eggs in my Instant Pot yesterday. I wanted to get the whites a little more tender. When I make regular hard cooked eggs, I do this successfully by using Low pressure rather than High pressure, so I applied this to this batch. However, I think I overcompensated. I decided since they cook so long, that since Soup is a gentler cycle, I would do them on Soup low pressure, rather than on Manual/Pressure Cook low pressure.

The roasted flavor is there, and the whites are definitely more tender. But while my photos are not well lit, I think the difference in color is still apparent.

Next time, I'll try Manual/Pressure Cook low pressure, and see if there is further difference.

Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing which products will be featured for Prime Days...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: