Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Israeli Scientists to Find Cure For Cancer . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

11853 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

TheFallen wrote:
[...]

Wos's link to the original of that article doesn't seem to work, but I found the proper one. Here it is from Haaretz.com

[...]

Sorry 'bout that. Thanx for the catch. 👍

I went back and fixed the link.

Vraith
Obligate Metaphor

31674 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:

So, although I agree that some of the language used and attitudes shown towards the announcement have indeed apparently gone beyond healthy scepticism into the exaggeratedly negative,

Redirecting that thought somewhat---
I don't believe it does go too far.
As Sagan [modified from Hume, I believe--definitely with older roots, at least---and somewhat distorted] said:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
I don't think the thing, as it is, should have been published at all...because it's a completely revolutionary claim with no evidence provided.

Thing is---that's an issue that's bugging me a lot lately. Even the very best journals seem to have a problem...a tendency/selection bias towards publishing the studies with the most outrageous/unexpected results, not the ones with the best evidence or potential use/application.

There's a line to walk there, of course. We WANT the bleeding edge/potentially paradigm shattering.
But we ALSO want at least SOME rational basis/evidence that whatever it is is possible.

the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

27564 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esmer wrote:
Quote:
Officially, Israel's unemployment rate is about 8%. But that doesn't include Israeli citizens who are not trying to find work, either because they feel disenfranchised, such as many Arab Israelis, or because they've chosen a life of state-subsidized religious study, such as many ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Nearly 27% of Arab men and 65% of ultra-Orthodox Jews don't work, government figures show. The non-employment rate for ultra-Orthodox men has tripled since 1970, Ben-David said.

"We support a lifestyle of nonworking that is pretty unparalleled in the Western world," said Ben-David, who is also a Tel Aviv University professor. "On the one hand, we have this state-of-the-art part of the economy. Then there is the rest of the country that is like a huge drag."
What worries Ben-David most is that the nonproductive part of Israel's population, which survives largely on welfare, is also the fastest growing.

Quote:
May 10, 2010
[url]articles.latimes.com/2010/may/10/world/la-fg-israel-idle-20100511[/url]

how much more of our taxpayer dollars are subsidizing these foreign "parasites" today?

1. 1.6 million Arabs in Israel (about 21% of population of Israel)

2. 1.1 million Haredi in Israel (about 20% of the population of Israel)

3. So 40% of the population of Israel is on the dole.

4. I believe the Arabs would work if given a chance.

5. I believe the Haredi are a bunch of worthless parasites there and should be made to shoulder the social burdens the rest of the Israelies have to.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

12007 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem, V, is that they are still a business, and need to be the one everyone thinks of. If this outlandish claim DOES pan out, they can advertise that "We were the first to report this! We knew it for what it was months before anyone else figured it out!" No profit in being the second to let us know about such an amazing thing.

If it's a non-story, they simply won't mention it again.

I remember some TV station flashed "Joe DiMaggio died" before he had. They had to be the first to announce it, so, when things were looking bad, they had it all typed out, ready to float across our screen. And some moron hit the button.

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
Obligate Metaphor

31674 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist and Faith wrote:
The problem, V, is that they are still a business,...[ETC]...

Yea..true.
Problem: where's the downside? shouldn't there be one? what's that thing about truth never catching up with a lie.?

But, if it's acceptable/expected/just something we have to live with, they're just doing what they need to for profit/recognition...then...
Question: Doesn't that mean there are people around here and everywhere that should, for instance, just accept as fine/normal/good for business the initial incomplete/biased Kid-MAGA story?

Why should anyone pre-check anything, if it'll just sort itself out later anyway? and why should anybody care if all the leads/headlines are one of the big Twain-esque 3.... lies, damn lies, and Sean Hannity?

the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

20160 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:
.. lies, damn lies, and Sean Hannity?

I was thinking .... lies, damn lies, and Nancy Pelosi. Big Grin

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

12007 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That's why I started with "The problem, V, is...", rather than "The reason it works so darned well is..." It's been going on since the days of Absence of Malice . Heck, maybe even longer!

All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
Obligate Metaphor

31674 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
Vraith wrote:
.. lies, damn lies, and Sean Hannity?

I was thinking .... lies, damn lies, and Nancy Pelosi. Big Grin

Hah!...of course you were.
But I posted FIRST!
So I'm funnier AND I win all the White Gold Advertising Dollars. [[send them on over, everyone who reads this] even if you were right! Laughing
[[[but your not. Also, if you were, I could trump you with Trump!]
[[[[[woooT! another score for ME!]]]]]

Fisty---yea, but I was kinda hoping you had some kind of proposal/solution/answer??? Cuz sometimes you do....

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

12007 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL You're thinking of someone else. I'm quite sure I've never had a proposal/solution/answer to any damed thing.

All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
Obligate Metaphor

31674 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist and Faith wrote:
LOL You're thinking of someone else. I'm quite sure I've never had a proposal/solution/answer to any damed thing.

No, thinking of you, definitely. I didn't think your thought would be real, practical, or true, Laughing ---but that there might be thoughts. [[you know...like tons of valuable talk on consciousness---though you don't know what it is and think it's beyond physics]].

Skyweir
Lord of Light

43511 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinswatch wrote:

... It's fine if you want to be pro-Israel. I don't care one way or the other about Israel.

What I find is hypocritical is to post a pro-Israel topic and then dump on Palestine for no reason.

If you really only cared about how amazing this research is and how amazing Israel is, then just say so. Great.

But don't be so antagonistic and negative at the same time.

If you want to be a positive force in the world, be a positive force.

-jay

AMEN to this. 👍

We call this a twisted Dorothy Dixer.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

11853 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Could the Flu Become History? An Israeli Vaccine May Make It a Reality [In-Depth, Interview]

Quote:

Professor Ruth Arnon, 2020. Credit: Tomer Appelbaum

The results of final clinical trials are due soon, capping two decades of work by Weizmann Institute Prof. Ruth Arnon and the startup BiondVax.

A year and a half ago, biochemist Prof. Ruth Arnon, Israel Prize recipient for medicine and past president of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, received an email from the editor of a science journal. The editor asked whether she planned to attend a conference on multiple sclerosis that was to take place a few days later. Arnon, who was one of the scientists responsible for the research that led to the MS treatment, Copaxone, said she wouldn't be attending, but was sending a researcher from her lab at the Weizmann Institute of Science.

Little did Arnon imagine that the editor's interest was driven by a deeply personal and moving story. It turned out she had been suffering from MS, had started to lose her vision and had to leave her job. Her doctor decided to substitute the MS drug she had been taking with Copaxone. The woman's eyesight was saved and she was able to return to work. "She wanted to thank me for developing Copaxone," recalls Arnon. "Stories like these could add years to my life."

Arnon is 86, and like many people her age she is spending these days at home. "My husband and I are both in a high-risk group, and I'm not taking chances. I go out into the garden to get some air, but I don't go anywhere. We get what we need delivered, so everything is okay," she says.

Nevertheless, she continues to work, talking by telephone with the researchers at the lab she heads at the Weizmann Institute and with colleagues via Zoom meetings. She has good reason to keep busy: Within less than a month the fate of a project that she has been working on for some two decades will be decided. It is meant to provide a comprehensive, long-lasting solution to one of the world's most widespread diseases: Influenza.

The Weizmann Institute of Science, 2018. Credit: Ilan Assayag

The project involves developing a vaccine that would protect people from all strains of the flu with a single injection. A startup company called BiondVax Pharmaceuticals, led by founder Dr. Ron Babecoff, has been working on the universal flu vaccine for the past 15 years based on a patented technology developed by Arnon and Dr. Tamar Ben-Yedidia. Ben-Yedidia was a colleague of Arnon's at the Weizmann Institute and is now chief scientific officer at the company.

The vaccine is now undergoing Phase III, or final, clinical trials involving large numbers of human patients. If later in the year it is shown to work and is approved by regulators, it could replace the seasonal flu shot given every year. That vaccine changes from year to year, based on what the World Health Organization expects will be the most common flu strains in the coming year.

Haaretz: At a time when the entire world is looking for a coronavirus vaccine, there's a chance that a universal flu vaccine will get approval?

Arnon: If everything goes according to our plans, then yes, it will be approved before they find a coronavirus vaccine. You have to remember that this coronavirus is a new one for humans. While we are familiar with the coronavirus family, we are still learning about the type that has attacked the world in the last few months. Most of the coronaviruses have mild symptoms, such as a cold and a fever, but in the recent past there were two epidemics, SARS and MERS, that came from more violent strains of coronaviruses. In both cases, they disappeared at the end of the season and didn't return.

Is there any significance to the fact that the coronavirus has flu-like symptoms? Is it a similar disease?

The coronavirus is completely different from the flu even if the symptoms are similar. The anti-flu vaccine we've developed won't work against the coronavirus.

A pharmacy housed in a former movie theatre. April 2020. Credit: BRIAN SNYDER/REUTERS

Are the forecasts that a coronavirus vaccine will be developed within 18 months reasonable?

Developing a coronavirus vaccine demands time, even if they decide to shorten the process under pressure from the public. It's not something you can do in two months. You have to examine the efficacy and safety of every vaccine and that alone takes many months. If you want to manufacture it in commercial quantities, researchers will have to wait months longer for the results of clinical trials. There's no wonder drug that will provide an answer to the current outbreak. Maybe we'll be able to develop a vaccine or drug by next winter. There are a lot of scientists and biotech company teams who have dedicated a lot of resources in this direction. I hope one of them will succeed.

[...]

A plant of Israeli pharmaceutical giant Teva in Kfar Saba, Israel. Credit: Ofer Vaknin

[...]

Copaxone, developed by Prof. Ruth Arnon to fight multiple sclerosis. Credit: Copaxone

[...]

A patient receives a flu vaccine in Mesquite, Texas, January 23, 2020. Credit: LM Otero / AP

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: