Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Last Repository
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Great God's War -> The War Within
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renny
Woodhelvennin

331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect youre right. This is very bad news. Is there a way we could crowdfund this? Ive self published two of my own books so i have a rough idea of production issues etc.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49065 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Donaldson would like to make some money at being an author. So self-publishing is not an option.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
renny
Woodhelvennin

331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
I am sure Donaldson would like to make some money at being an author. So self-publishing is not an option.

Now that is true!
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

2782 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I am concerned you are correct wayfriend trying to force author out of contract.

To answer your question what difference does length make (besides trying to get author out of contract) Length is a marketable commodity. Sadly most consumers want a shorter book by and large. Especially for a author whose star (in publishers eyes) seems to be fading - to market a lenghty book provides just another hurdle.

Lets face it if this was fourth Chronicles and reception on prior books numbers was through the roof- length would almost be a non issue.
Hunchback Jack
Elohim

447 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
My first take on this is this: unless something changes, this book won't be published.

Yes, this doesn't look good at all. If SRD does break the Berkeley contract, it's going to be a tough job shopping the third book of a series around to other publishers.

The one hope I have is that Orion/Gollancz will still pick it up. SRD has always had a strong showing in the UK market, and they may still be interested even if his US publisher isn't.

(I don't mind buying the book from the UK - I collect those editions anyway).

HBJ
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49065 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that "still pick it up" is the right way to view it. I think that they already have, in that they signed on for all three at the beginning.

I think his US publisher Berkeley has in fact signed on for all three as well. They're just changing the deal at the last minute.

Quote:
My new fantasy trilogy, THE GREAT GOD'S WAR, has been acquired for publication by Berkley in the US and Gollancz in the UK. The first book, SEVENTH DECIMATE, is scheduled for October 2017. My contracts give me 18 months per book; but I'm hoping to do better than that.

Maybe Gollancz will find a reason to balk on the third book, too. But so far there's been no word to this effect.

I feel like there's hope. But there's not a lot of information. (Nor would there be.)
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Mr.Land
Stonedownor

372 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon.co.uk has a Oct. 14, 2021 publication date listed for The Killing God with Gollancz as the publisher. The page count listed is only 400, which seems a bit off from what SRD was telling us about the larger length of this novel. I'm still hopeful that SRD can find an American publisher, but I'm overjoyed that it looks like TKG will be available SOMEWHERE. Still no update from SRD. I wonder if that means Berkeley wouldn't budge, and he's busy trying to find someone else to pick it up.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49065 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Land wrote:
AThe page count listed is only 400, which seems a bit off from what SRD was telling us about the larger length of this novel.

Possibly only a placeholder?

Mr.Land wrote:
Still no update from SRD.

I'm not quite at the "no news is bad news" stage yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Great God's War -> The War Within All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: