Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westworld

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22652 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Westworld Reply with quote

Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, James Marsden.

I like. Thoughts?
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

11246 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a fan of the original film since I was a kid and I was a bit concerned that the story would become too HBOized. That's not necessarily a bad thing I just thought the original concept would be lost and replaced with something only a millennial would find entertaining. However after watching the first episode I was pleased that at its core Westworld the series is a bit like Jurassic World was to Jurassic Park. There are nods to the original Delos park sprinkled around and conceptually the core concept is still driving the narrative. The actors and acting are the usual above average caliber you'd expect from HBO. I am still holding final judgement as there are a number of ways the story could potentially take a wrong turn. So far though I a was entertained.

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15135 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stopped watching after 2 episodes.
Be True

30839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we ordered HBO Now in order to watch GoT, and we're taking advantage of the temporary expense to catch up on Westworld, too. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I'm not sure it lives up to the hype. I was hoping for something a bit deeper, more philosophical. Or at least with likable characters. This is one big gimmick with lots of unrealized potential.

Note: we've seen all of season 1 except the finale, so please don't spoil that. Perhaps some of my complaints will be resolved in the finale.

Spoiler:

I thought the double fake out with Bernard being both a robot (which I suspected from the first episode) and Arnold was a bit much. I also thought it was pretty stupid for Ford to have him kill himself. He just left the body there. When someone finds it, they'll discover that Bernard is a robot. And that will point back to Ford. And that just seems sloppy for an evil mastermind.

I wish there had been more to the maze. I thought it was actually going to be a maze with a payoff, not just Dolorous's memories of Arnold, with the only payoff being the surprise that Bernard = Arnold (which, again, was stupid).

It bugs me that William is so preachy about his friend wanting to drink and fuck in "VR," as if there's something wrong with that. It's a theme park. That's what it's for. People go there for vacation. People drink and fuck on vacation. Shooting robots that are designed to be shot is not a moral quandary. It's basically a video game.

I don't understand how more accidents don't happen. Why does no real person ever accidentally shoot another real person, mistaking them for a host?

I wish that the guy who disagrees with the philosophical position of functionalism wasn't portrayed as a murderer. I wish there was more subtlety here than that. Believing that robots aren't sentient is not equivalent to believing that humans aren't sentient, either. You don't have to dehumanize people in order to dehumanize robots.

Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Zarathustra
Be True

30839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god that was the worse finale I've ever seen for any show ever. What a bunch of garbage. Even Stephen King has a right to laugh at that ending. Jesus, what a mess.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Skyweir
Lord of Light

39967 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westworld Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, James Marsden.

I like. Thoughts?

I love it! Super clever! Cant wait for the next season. I didn't mind the ending Z .. what didn't you like about it?

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zarathustra
Be True

30839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently rewatched the first season, and I have to admit this is one of those times where I was wrong. However, I'm not sure it was my fault. Like one of the Hosts, it sometimes takes multiple loops to Awaken. While I think that a work of art usually should stand on its own the first time and not require hindsight in order to appreciate it, this particular series is all about multiple views of the same thing, recursive loops (in both our lives' routines as well as a model of consciousness), and nonlinear story telling.

I think this show is genius. I haven't watched the second season, so maybe it falls apart [and please, no spoilers!], but as it stands at the end of season 1, it's a masterpiece.

In terms of pure story-telling, it's a beautiful, purely character-driven exploration of What It Means To Be Human. Existential science fiction. It tackles deep philosophical issues without seeming too heavy-handed, very light on the exposition, and saturated with showing. These are the deepest issues we can ponder, because they are at the core of who we are. It would have been very easy for the show to get lost in the weeds, but the writers did an amazing job letting the characters speak for themselves. Even the opening sequence is a beautiful metaphor for these issues.

I don't really think it's about robot consciousness as much as it is about our own. Sure, the question of whether computers can think is interesting, but the Hosts are metaphors for ourselves. Despite what they repeatedly say, the Maze is for us, too. The Hosts are facing the quandary of realizing they are alive--an Awakening--while we assume we are alive, take it for granted, and are faced with the quandary of our own Slumber. But these are two sides of the same coin. Awakening is simultaneously a realization that you were asleep. The Hosts are not only becoming aware of their own prison, but showing us ours. Our lives are filled with similar forgetfulness, repetition, routine, imprisonment in social roles/jobs, and allowing ourselves to be used/controlled.

Ford is, of course, lying when he says that there is no consciousness. He at first seems to take the Dennett position that consciousness is an illusion, and hence there is no difference between us and hosts (which is why he can justify things like murder). But he has actually come to realize that Arnold was right, that the Hosts are becoming alive and self-aware. And this new form of life is worth fighting--and killing--for. He pays the price for his mistakes in the end, giving his own life to the cause and accepting this death sentence.

I can't wait to see what season 2 has in store.

Zarathustra
Be True

30839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else still watching? Thoughts on S3?

SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

19403 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for something to watch. I will put this on my list to start!

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Kizza
Pointing and Quaffing, it's a juggle.

Male

2912 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Diamondraught

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched S3 over a couple of nights. Kind of sucked me in.

I definitely enjoyed it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

39967 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh I have S3 but cant watch it till my son leaves lol 😂

EZBoard SURVIVOR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rigel
Tenno Awoken

2094 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about halfway though S3 and honestly lost interest.
Zarathustra
Be True

30839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leery of making the same mistake that I made for S1, namely, judging it too harshly based on the show being too complex to unpack on a single viewing. I don't want to eat my own words again. But I am left with the same impression that it's unnecessarily convoluted, not for the purpose of telling a good story, but merely to confuse viewers and seem "deep." I do like where S3 ends up, but I did not enjoy the ride to get there.

I really enjoyed seeing Aaron Paul again. He played this role well. I like the twist with his character at the end, the emphasis on the human role. The show was visually stunning, especially as a contrast to the first two seasons. The one episode with Genre drug was deliciously trippy.

I'll have to rewatch now that I know what was going on, to see if my opinion changes.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

39967 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interested to see what you come back with .. whether youd like it more.

I love watching Aaron Paul ... and it is a very different journey. I havent watched all of s3 yet but like what I have seen so far.

Interestingly I watched the original WestWorld movie .. it was a challenge lol 😂 but it was cool to see.

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: