Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electing A U.S. President
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

11819 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Electing A U.S. President Reply with quote

I believe the current method of choosing the leader of the United States is flawed and should be revised by a new amendment to the constitution.

I am sure there are many schools of thought on the subject and here's mine.

This will never happen - at least not in my lifetime.

Candidates for consideration should meet certain criteria

Should ideally be between the ages of 35 and 64 (not to exceed 70 in their final year of service)
Must pass a mental and physical health evaluation
Must be able to pass a background check and obtain a high security clearance
Must be a citizen of the United States
Should have verifiable experience in critical decision making and leadership skills
Should not be defined by the extreme values of any major political party or sub group
Must have an appropriate level of formal education and able to pass a standardized qualification test
Should possess the bearing, charisma, respect and dignity appropriate for the office

2 candidates (1 male and 1 female) shall be chosen and submitted by each State without regard to any party affiliation or independent status. Unaffiliated candidates shall be preferred but not required.
States must choose the method either by internal elections or by nomination by the Governor or a designed body created for that purpose. Presidential candidates must be chosen by the aforementioned method.
A guaranteed pool of candidates numbering no less than twice the number of States shall make up the initial offering of candidates nationwide. A number of successive primaries shall reduce the number of candidates to a final tally of 10. Each candidate shall be provided with an equal opportunity for exposure and evaluation by the voters at large throughout the process. Personal and independent campaign funding is prohibited. The 2 finalists with the highest and second highest votes shall become President and Vice-President respectively for a single 6 year term. (No sitting President or Vice-President shall be permitted to divide his or her responsibilities between serving the public and campaigning for re-election.) After a period of 3 years the President and Vice-President must be reevaluated to establish that they continue to be mentally and physically fit to continue serving in their respective offices.

Former Presidents and Vice-Presidents are ineligible for a future Presidential or Vice-Presidential term.

Additionally the candidate with the 3rd highest votes shall be elected to Leader of the Senate for a single 6 year term.
The candidate with the 4th highest votes shall be elected to the Speaker of the House for a single 6 year term.

Additionally no person shall serve in an elected position in the Federal Government for more than 12 total years.

There are many other details that would need to be considered of course.

It should be obvious that candidates considered for President shall not be chosen with any regard to race, heritage, sexual orientation, skin color, height, weight, eye shape, number of fingers and toes, hair color, body scent or any other completely irrelevant characteristic.

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8492 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that tom.

Just Hunger Games them I says.

Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

93977 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Electing A U.S. President Reply with quote

aTOMiC wrote:
Should possess the bearing, charisma, respect and dignity appropriate for the office

The only real point of contention is this one, being purely subjective.

Much of the rest of it are things I have wanted, myself--experience at making decisions, not in a fringe group, etc. I really like the absolute term limit and it is something I have advocated before--you get 12 years, max, and then you're out.

The ony thing you left out was "absolutely no dark money, super PACs, or anonymous donors--if you want to donate money you must state who you are and you cannot give more than $1,000 to any individual candidate".

Oh, yes--absolutely no professional lobbying or influence peddling. Once you are out of office, you cannot pester lawmakers for at least 10 years.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male

30715 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good and very sensible ideas - but it'll never happen. The oligarchy guaranteed to come to power by the existing US system will never allow that system to be changed to anything more commonsensical that would allow a wider number of possibles.

So I'm up for an MMA/Royal Rumble hybrid type contest - last person left standing in the ring gets the White House.

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8492 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Rumble on ppv to raise election money 💰.

And only that money can be used for campaigns.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it'll never happen, as TF says. You can't even discontinue the god-damn penny because of lobbying.

sgt.null wrote:
Just Hunger Games them I says.

I mean, I like the idea, but doesn't that just guarantee that the most viscous, etc. etc. will get the job? What we also need to do is just put the Whitehouse on an island and isolate it completely from everybody. Very Happy Win-Win. Very Happy

--A

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to provide something to actually think about, rather than snide cynicism.

aTOMiC, the actual problem with your proposal is actually a procedural one.

Namely, who is going to be the judge of all these criteria?

Simply put: As soon as you nominate a body of people to judge who is fit for president, you give them the keys to control who can be president.

(Voting rights suffers from the same issues. As soon as you put someone in charge of determining who qualifies for a voter ID, you put them in charge of who can vote.)

The end result of your scheme is actually profoundly undemocratic.

The real answer is that we need to trust the voters to weed out the knobs.

The more core problem is that the voters are getting misinformation that makes the knobs out to be heroes and the competent candidates villians.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
TheFallen

Male

30715 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Av, the most viscous? If someone's too viscous (a bit like Trump is) it'll be ever so difficult to get them unstuck from the Oval Office when the time comes.

wf, credit where it's due. Everything you put forward in that post is IMV entirely accurate.

The question remains: given all the rancour and trouble inherent in the recent election process (both pre- and post-result), does it need changing?

What has struck me more sharply recently is the amount of power that any POTUS has. Except in the most extreme of circumstances, a POTUS is there for at least four years, like it or not. The party to which any POTUS nominally belongs apparently has absolutely zero sway over said POTUS, once he/she is in the White House.

Not the same here in the UK by any means - any Prime Minister needs the backing of his party at all times (pretty much because a PM is merely an MP who puts his/her name forward to get elected by the other members of Parliament to the office of PM). And because of this, a party can effectively, quickly and easily remove a Prime Minister from his/her job.

I wonder if that radically different paradigm would be worth any consideration? For starters, if Pub and Dem members of the HoR each choose their party leader, then that leader gets the presidency, if the particular party wins a majority of HoR seats?

I acknowledge it'd be a radical change, but it'd seem to have a few benefits:-

It removes large elements of personality cult politics (because voters end up voting much more for a party than a figurehead).

It lessens the prevalence of massive spend war-chest politics (because things become more about party and policy than individual and personality).

It decreases the nigh-on absolute power and control held by any POTUS during his/her minimum 4 years in office, because he can be removed by his own party at any time.

The pool of potential candidates for POTUS at any one time automatically goes up to around 200.

It would mean however that all elections to the HoR would have to be synchronised, saving death of or resignation by any representative.

Alternatively, you could run the same paradigm, except with senators, rather than representatives....

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

11819 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
Well, to provide something to actually think about, rather than snide cynicism.

aTOMiC, the actual problem with your proposal is actually a procedural one.

Namely, who is going to be the judge of all these criteria?

Simply put: As soon as you nominate a body of people to judge who is fit for president, you give them the keys to control who can be president.

(Voting rights suffers from the same issues. As soon as you put someone in charge of determining who qualifies for a voter ID, you put them in charge of who can vote.)

The end result of your scheme is actually profoundly undemocratic.

The real answer is that we need to trust the voters to weed out the knobs.

The more core problem is that the voters are getting misinformation that makes the knobs out to be heroes and the competent candidates villians.

Someone decided a US President had to be a natural born citizen.
Someone decided a US President had to be over the age of 35.
A consensus was achieved in order to establish the criteria above.
So it would be with every single requirement i listed.

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTOMiC wrote:
Someone decided a US President had to be a natural born citizen.
Someone decided a US President had to be over the age of 35.

Fair enough.

But notice that these are objective criteria, inarguable.

But more importantly, notice how minimal.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
What has struck me more sharply recently is the amount of power that any POTUS has.

As I have said, the "system" was designed on the premise that honorable men would be elected, and that they would act honorably. Voters were the check against the POTUS.

The system only broke down when dishonorable men acting dishonorably could be elected, and once elected, maintain political power. In short, it broke when voters could be convinced that dishonorable men were honorable.

Basically, it has all arisen because of the internet, by which I specifically I mean how the internet broke the power of the press. Once someone figured out how the broken press could be corrupted, the fundamental bedrock upon which the Constitution was built was shattered.

If you look at every country in the world which struggles to maintain a decent, honest government, there's always one common denominator - the corrupt have power, and they use their power to corrupt any attempt to fix the government, and thereby keep themselves in power. So it all remains hopeless. The best the populace can aspire to is keeping the lights on.

The United States is now one of those countries. Which is why one might believe with all their hearts that reforms are needed, it is really hard to imagine reforms that could not be corrupted before the paint dries on them.

But it's clear to me that if we cannot deliver to the populace a truthful press that they can have faith in, then nothing else can be solved. No one can reform anything when so many voters believe the truth is lies and lies are the truth.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

93977 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, the system here is designed to allow anyone who qualifies to run for President--you and I could run, provided we file the right paperwork by the filing deadlines to have our name placed on the ballot. Realistically, though, only multimillionaires and/or people who are already nationally-recognized politicians (which, by default, means they are multimillionaires) have any chance of being elected (or even getting their name on the ballot in all 50 States). Working-class people do not have the time or money--no one is going to give you (or me) a year off to go campaign across the nation.

erm...the voters got rid of a dishonorable POTUS--didn't you get the memo?

Perhaps people would be able to tell the truth between lies and truth if "news media" would quit lying so much of the time and presenting their lies as if they were truth.

Incidentally, if your premise is that those with power who are corrupt skew the system so that they stay in power then you have to ask yourself one question: which party is currently in power? That must therefore be the party which is corrupt, else they would not be in power.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
TheFallen

Male

30715 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

My own view is bleaker than wf's (and I suspect closer to Hashi's).

To have any chance of acquiring power in the first place, one has to be corrupt and dishonourable in the first place.

However, wf's point about the partisanship of the mass media is bang on accurate and spans the entire political spectrum. Particularly noticeably in the US, there seems to be a total absence of objective and dispassionate reporting. From anyone. All that exists is fiercely partisan and agenda-led op-ed rhetoric masquerading as truthful.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

93977 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
However, wf's point about the partisanship of the mass media is bang on accurate and spans the entire political spectrum. Particularly noticeably in the US, there seems to be a total absence of objective and dispassionate reporting. From anyone. All that exists is fiercely partisan and agenda-led op-ed rhetoric masquerading as truthful.

As bizarre as this sounds, once upon a time the most balanced news available in the United States was--wait for it--Al Jazeera America. No, I am not kidding.

$10 says all the barriers and enchanced protections stay in place after inauguration as a "just in case" measure.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
Particularly noticeably in the US, there seems to be a total absence of objective and dispassionate reporting.

Well, that's not true. What is true is that the partisans who fear the truth claim it isn't objective and dispassionate. But that doesn't mean it isn't. It only means that they want you to think it isn't.

(The dead give away is when they claim a news source is biased solely because they pointed out something bad that they did. Or, rather: one party acts patently far worse than the other party, and they claim the news source is biased for not treating both parties "equally".)

This is not a "both parties" situation. One party fears the truth being known far more than the other. The truth-fearers fear anyone realizing that.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

93977 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
One party fears the truth being known far more than the other.

As the old saying goes, "if Democrats will stop telling lies about Republicans then Republicans will stop telling the truth about Democrats".

Democrats fear the truth, which is why those social media platforms are silencing voices. This is not a new phenomenon, either--the cancel culture has been in full swing for a decade now. Why are younger people and those who lean Left so afraid of dissenting voices/opinions?

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

93977 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Democrats fear the truth, which is why those social media platforms are silencing voices. This is not a new phenomenon, either--the cancel culture has been in full swing for a decade now. Why are younger people and those who lean Left so afraid of dissenting voices/opinions?

wayfriend wrote:
Perfect.

Thank you for your agreement.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
TheFallen

Male

30715 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
TheFallen wrote:
Particularly noticeably in the US, there seems to be a total absence of objective and dispassionate reporting.

Well, that's not true.
Okay... let's see a selection of unbiased and agenda-free mass media vehicles listed then.

What I find incomprehensible about the position you take, wf, is your extreme readiness to state beyond any doubt that mass media lies - but only right-leaning mass media. Everything critical of the right that emanates from left-leaning media you consider to be absolute truth.

Does that very simplistic binary position really strike you as being particularly likely? Genuinely? You honestly believe that only right-leaning media is distortative and partisan?

What you've failed to realise is that over the last couple of decades, news media of any flavour is no longer at all about dispassionate, fair and objective reporting of the facts. "Reporting" is now just another business, looking to capture and hold onto a target market. To do so, news media outlets across the board merely serve up the flavour of product that most appeals to their chosen target market, in order to retain that market and keep the advertising dollars rolling in..

Truth is no longer absolute. It has become relative. Any consumer of "news" can easily find the spun flavour of "truth" that he or she wants - confirmation bias will ensure that this is the version that the particular consumer will put faith in above all others (and entirely irrelevant of actuality).

And why you think that the above only applies to one end of the political spectrum, God alone knows.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

93977 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:

What you've failed to realise is that over the last couple of decades, news media of any flavour is no longer at all about dispassionate, fair and objective reporting of the facts. "Reporting" is now just another business, looking to capture and hold onto a target market. To do so, news media outlets across the board merely serve up the flavour of product that most appeals to their chosen target market, in order to retain that market and keep the advertising dollars rolling in..

Truth is no longer absolute. It has become relative. Any consumer of "news" can easily find the spun flavour of "truth" that he or she wants - confirmation bias will ensure that this is the version that the particular consumer will put faith in above all others (and entirely irrelevant of actuality).

And why you think that the above only applies to one end of the political spectrum, God alone knows.

Ms. Lebwohl would not like me saying this, but it is true: that is why Newsmax exists. The Trump loyalists didn't think Fox was conservative enough so they left and formed their own news network.

People who suffer from confirmation bias and enjoy reading stories in their echo chamber of choice wind up being convinced that other random people think that way, as well, and it becomes the lens through which they see everything, which is why we get ridiculous shit like WOTC omni-banning cards like "Cleanse" from every official format. The gears are already shifting, though--most "news" outlets here are switching from "opposition coverage" to "state-run media". We are about to receive 24-hour coverage of how wonderful the Biden Administration is, how wise everyone in his Cabinet is, and what a fashion trend-setter his wife is.

Back on topic.... Part of the problem of the Office of POTUS is that we put far too much emphasis on it. Why do those people need Secret Service protection for the rest of their life? Once they are out of office they are private citizens, not landed/titled nobles. If they want security, they can pay for it themselves. The allure of power is definitely attracting the wrong sort of people these days.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: