Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Riddance 2020!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter
No Fear

54798 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Good Riddance 2020! Reply with quote

By any standards you would have to describe 2020 as being a fuckpig of a year. One that unless you happen to be one of the super rich tech billionaires who have seen their fortunes grow by factors of whatever, has been a grueling slog of insult heaped upon injury with little in the way of remit or consolation to act as salve to our battered lives, both emotional and physical.

But it's over and for better or worse we can put it behind us perhaps look forward with at least a glimmer of hope that things might start to get better in the times ahead. In the UK Brexit is at last behind us, and as we go into the new year in a state of virtual house imprisonment, we can at least hope that the vaccines shortly to be rolled out will bring back some degree of normality into our lives. In the US it is to be hoped that, with the most divisive of elections in living memory now pretty much done and dusted, some degree of reconciliation might be forthcoming and people might once again start to see the benefits of living in the greatest country on earth (my own excepted of course Wink ) in just about every sense of the phrase.

In this spirit of hope I'd like to say happy New Year to all of you guys, wish you a prosperous and healthy 2021 and draw a line under what for me has been a bruising and salutary experience of how it is, how it feels, when a world goes wrong. It isn't going to be all sweetness and light in the year to come - that's a given - but it will be as good or as bad as we make it. My resolution will be to try to be more positive, to try to see the proverbial glass-half-full instead of always looking for the worst. No reason to expect me to be any more successful than in previous years when my resolutions have failed just about half a day into first day, but hey "a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

So Happy New Year everybody. Be good, be lucky!

Wink

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

95581 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 2020 was not that bad of a year for me. I switched to a better job, kept working 1.5 jobs all year long because I am 1.5 times as essential as everyone else, and started stock purchase programs at both employers. Sure, Ms. Lebwohl got t-boned--again--but we already had really good coverage by then so it wasn't a problem. (psst: if you want good coverage then, you know, get a fucking job that offers coverage instead of standing around helplessly waiting for Nanny to give you a handout)

The only downside to 2020 for me was that NMP Biden won. I can live with that.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Immanentizing The Eschaton

37667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Happy New Years guys. Very Happy It's certainly been a doozy. In the spirit of the thread, I shall refrain from mentioning all the things that will still challenge us in this new year, and simply wish that everybody has as good a one as can be hoped for. Wink

--A

peter
No Fear

54798 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less hangovers in S.A. today than usually is the case on NY's day Av, I'm betting. That's got to be a good thing hasn't it? Laughing

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Zarathustra
Be True

32329 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2020 was one of the best years I’ve ever had. I’m genuinely sorry that it sucked for others. It’s weird being so happy in the midst of so much suffering. But it only increases my gratitude.

I plan to make next year even better by giving up drinking and getting back in shape. I’d also like to carve out some time to get back to writing again. Other than that, I am content.

I wish you all a happy new year!
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

21122 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would come out of KW retirement for a min for this thread. I had a great year as well. The job got harder after having to let people go and take on their work.

Financially my 401k is up 24% and my individual stocks that I have invested in are up 67%. I may well retire earlier than expected.

Personally my family is good. A few covid cases but all lived and doing well. My Grand daughter is such a blessing and my children are doing well.

Happy new year to all of you!!!!

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "***

** Note to add that ALL of the hens have since disappeared***

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

95581 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
Thought I would come out of KW retirement for a min for this thread.

Good to see you. You should drop by more often, when possible.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12828 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this thread: People literally bragging about how much money they've made in the midst of millions of Americans facing poverty and death.

It's a bit vulgar, honestly.
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12828 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
The job got harder after having to let people go and take on their work.

Financially my 401k is up 24% and my individual stocks that I have invested in are up 67%. I may well retire earlier than expected.

Bless your heart!
peter
No Fear

54798 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not really in the best of taste I'd agree.

(But I'm pretty sure it was intended to provoke this response Ur, and we bit. Wink )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12828 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaks more about them, not us.

Complaining about your job being harder because you had to fire a whole lot of people due to a national crisis, then bragging about how much money you have made in the stock market recently is a pretty fucked up way of thinking.

Here's something that would have been a lot better for a response on this thread:

Quote:
Due to my position, I have had to make the unfortunate decision to let many of my employees go because of COVID. While this has made my job more challenging due to lack of staff, my prayers go out to everyone that is having to worry about putting dinner on the table.

I am thankful for being in a better financial position than most Americans during these hard times, and it is my sincere wish that 2021 is a better year for everybody.
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

21122 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you are such a miserable person Ur. Life must suck for you that your posts are always so negative. Its a shame really because life is great. Go out and make the most of it and get away from all that.

Here let me make it better for you. I am so sorry to have lived when so many are dying or died. I am so sorry for being healthy when so many are not. I am so sorry to have made money when so many are broke. I am so sorry for eating when so many dont have food. I am so sorry for having a nice house when others are being evicted from their houses. I am so sorry that I can read and write when so many can't. Matter of fact I am sorry I come to KW and read your drivil which truly not worth my time.

I will check back in in April or so and see if the dialog is any better. My gut says nothing will have changed.

Happy 2021 to you all!!!

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "***

** Note to add that ALL of the hens have since disappeared***

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12828 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one cares if you have a nice house, nice car, nice whatever.

You just came across as cold and callous in your post, and you know it.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12963 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano thrives on misery, it's been plainly obvious since he joined.

2020 was a challenging year, but I'm far better off now than I was a year ago. It's unfortunate that the various state governments have killed so many businesses and ruined so many lives. Thankfully the missus and I've worked our tails off and come out of 2020 stronger than we were. I look forward to doing even better in 2021.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

9047 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ur-Nanothnir wrote:
No one cares if you have a nice house, nice car, nice whatever.

You just came across as cold and callous in your post, and you know it.

No. You are jealous, miserable and bitter.

Its why I've tried to get you to earn your own way in life instead of your party stealing it from from those of who earn our way in life.

I won't apologize for my small amount of success in life so you can feel better about your failures.

Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12828 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, no one's jealous of you.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

95581 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ur-Nanothnir wrote:
In this thread: People literally bragging about how much money they've made in the midst of millions of Americans facing poverty and death.

It's a bit vulgar, honestly.

Thank goodness that no one here runs their life according to your wishes and whims. We live our life; you live yours.

I do not feel one iota of guilt for the money I made or that no one here has been sick this year. More people would have made money had people not shut down the economy when they did not need to.

If people want to make 2021 a better year then they need to get up off their lazy ass and do something about it--fight back against the unconstitutional lockdowns and get back to work. Otherwise, they can just sit there helplessly while other people tell them how to live their lives--I refuse to do that.

It's like that one song from the Beatles. Most of us are of the "it's getting better all the time" crowd while some who will remain nameless are of the "couldn't get much worse" crowd.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12963 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ur-Nanothnir wrote:
Says the unemployed guy who introduced himself as a parasite on society.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

9047 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-Wan Nihilo wrote:
ur-Nanothnir wrote:
Says the unemployed guy who introduced himself as a parasite on society.

He shoots, he scores!

peter
No Fear

54798 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we move into the third, and what I believe will be the decisive full lockdown in the UK, I feel the need to wax lyrical about my situation.

Unlike many other people, I have not lived my life according to the received wisdom of getting and hoarding, of saving and planning, but have rather always lived right up to the wire, risking all on the banking of the now rather than the potential of the future. In consequence, I have to work today in what many consider menial work as opposed to enjoyment of the retirement that, had I been more prudent in my life choices, I could have perhaps had. I've worked, I've paid my dues (and continue to do so), but beyond this I've driven myself into the experience of life right up to the hilt. I've got over forty countries visited under my belt, many at the far-flung reaches of the world. I've watched the milky way turn from the sand-seas of the Sahara desert, seen the sunrise over the Ganges from a rowboat in Benares; I've flown over Angkor Wat in a hot air balloon and similarly marvelled at the drawings from above the Nazca dessert.

I have done the stuff that most people only ever dream of, but at significant cost. I have no family, no friends and no future - but in my mid sixties with the world as we know it crumbling around me I genuinely question who does. Because in case you didn't get it yet, the world as we knew it is over. It seems brutal to put it like that, but the fact remains. The life that you knew is over - all that remains to be seen is what form the new one will take. But for sure, there will be no flying around the world for the bulk of us, no enjoyment of the fruits of hard earned savings in a world post fiat currency (because in case you didn't know, the value of this has fallen by about a quarter already in the last twelve months in real terms and it hasn't even started yet).

The new order is coming in which only a tiny percentage of the world population get to enjoy the luxuries of travel and easy living (or perhaps I should say a tiny percentage of the tiny percent that have enjoyed it to date). For the rest it will be an almost medieval existence of insecurity and hardship until numbers are whittled down to a point where the remainder can live without devastating the earth and raping its resources to the point of self-annihilation. This is not to say that there is a 'Giant Conspiracy' to make it so (but there might be - how the fuck would I know) - no, rather it will be the simple consequence of the collapse of the capitalist system and the failure of the socialist policies that we will scramble to put in place to attempt to shut the stable doors after the horse has bolted.

Maybe there is still time to turn this all around and prevent my doomsday scenario from being realised, but I somehow doubt it. The rose tinted thinking of the Great Reset - the one in which we all suddenly become vegan cottage-industry lifestyle proponents, eschewing the wasteful practices of our former lives and sitting round the communal fire singing Kumbaya is bullshit - it ain't gonna happen. Life beyond Covid, for the bulk of us will be Hobbesian - nasty, brutish and short. It probably takes a pretty broken down mentality to see things in such a bleak manner - that or an especially prescient and fatalistic one...... could be either.

But whatever, I'm starting to be very glad that I've put my savings into the bank of a life fully lived.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: