Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texas is a failed state.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Texas is a failed state. Reply with quote

Texas has shown itself to be a failed state in light of the rare winter storm that has swept across the country, leaving millions without power in Texas for three or more days.

Texas prides itself for its energy grid, but its tiny energy grid has been unable to cope with a few inches of snow. Neighboring states have had to divert electricity from their electrical grids to Texas.

Looking for a million excuses, the incompetent Texas government is blaming wind turbines for the electrical failures.

After ridiculing California for its power outages last year, the shoe is now on the other foot.

Texas is a failed state.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

14131 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. You kinda like Texas, but not too much?

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

2799 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the clue is in the final two paragraphs. This is a satire of some earlier Tank posts characterizing California as a failed state.

In both the earlier and current cases, there are legitimate points made, but the conclusions drawn overstate the situation.

Just my hunch as a voracious reader with a middling memory, but limited skill with the Watch's (pretty poor) search tools.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male

30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't understand what's trying to be said, Fisty? Here, let me help out.

As with almost everything said by almost everyone in the US these days, the core motivation giving rise to this comment can be neatly summed up thus:

An attempt at party political points scoring - with some tit for tat thrown in to ensure that the depressing cycle keeps on going.

As is the case here, there's usually a few small threads of justification somewhere within such comments... but as SD cogently states, nowhere near enough upon which to base the hyperbole-ridden and agenda-led diatribe that ensues.

All of which is a description that could also be very aptly applied to the exaggerated demagoguery that tries to pass itself off as "objective news reporting" nowadays...

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

9035 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lieutenant posted this...

I see a lot of people hating on Texas. Especially from the north.

We ainít asking for hand outs. Those who are, prolly just moved here and donít know thatís not how it works here.

We donít get cold. Plain and simple. That means we donít have cold weather supplies. Like salt, snowplows etc.

It never stays this cold for this long. Ever.

Our houses arenít built to withstand cold. Neither is our power grid.

No different than northerners getting 75 consecutive days of 100 degree weather in the summer.

When the Nashville floods happened, Texans were there to help.

When the hurricanes hit Florida and Puerto Rico, Texas was there to help.

We even help Mexico with catastrophes often.

We have the largest military base in the world here. Itís important we get stuff back to normal.

So donít crap on us, you never know when youíll need our help.

We ainít begging the US gov for help. We just want the electric company to keep the lights on.

And unlike most states. Texas will learn from this and fix the situation. I can guarantee you, natural gas will play a huge roll in fixing the problem. This ďall electricĒ dream just went up in smoke.

Most of us know how to survive, we just got caught off guard. But we will make it. We always do. #TexasStrong

Rise Above
COPIED from a friend

Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Texans are being told to boil the tap water now.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

14131 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone wasn't sure, I was joking. Laughing

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California had damage to its power grid by wildfires, and the Trump administration refused to help, blaming California for its problems. Californians were mocked by conservatives for having power outages.

Why shouldn't everyone else mock Texas? You could have easily prevented wind turbines from "freezing" if you had regulation that ensured that they were built to withstand winter weather.

Canada and Northern European countries use wind power. They have no issues with it during winter time. You do, and that's because your state government is inept.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49399 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is Texas one of few states with its own power grid?

[...] The country is divided into three grids: one covers the eastern U.S., another the western states and then there is the Texas grid, which covers nearly the entire state.

The reasons Texas controls its own grid, the journalist Kate Galbraith observed in a Texplainer piece for the Texas Tribune in 2011 have to do with the same theme that colors so much of Texas' history and public policy: a distrust of federal interference.

[...] By eschewing transmission across state lines, the Texas utilities retained freedom," Richard D. Cudahy wrote in a 1995 article, "The Second Battle of the Alamo: The Midnight Connection." "This policy of isolation avoided regulation by the newly created Federal Power Commission, whose jurisdiction was limited to utilities operating in interstate commerce."

The result was "an electrical island in the United States," Bill Magness, CEO of ERCOT, said. "That independence has been jealously guarded, I think both by policy makers and the industry." [link]

Quote:
Texas leaders failed to heed warnings that left the state's power grid vulnerable to winter extremes, experts say

Texas officials knew winter storms could leave the stateís power grid vulnerable, but they left the choice to prepare for harsh weather up to the power companies ó many of which opted against the costly upgrades. That, plus a deregulated energy market largely isolated from the rest of the countryís power grid, left the state alone to deal with the crisis, experts said. [link]

* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Brother ur-Nan is just jealous and trying to have a little fun at our expense.

Yes, our electric grid is separate from the rest of the nation's grid--this is a Very Good Thing and needs to remain separate. I wish only that we would either triple the price of the electricity we sell to California or, ideally, quit selling to them altogether and just let them suffer.

The last ice storm in 2011 showed our State leaders--Rick Perry at that time--that the grid, especially the gas plants, needed winterization protection. They failed to implement that and so now here we are. As Elon Musk himself noted, ERCOT does not deserve the "R" is its name, which is supposed to stand for "reliability".

Now...as far as being a failed State....the facts do not support that hypothesis. Texas' economy has always been one of the best, our unemployment rate was lower than the national average even back during 2008 - 2010 after the housing collapse, we are the leading national producer of oil, natural gas, and both wind and solar--other States only think they are "green" with renewable energy, and people have been fleeing the actual failed State of California to come here for years. Recently, even large businesses have moved here, including Hewlett Packard and Tesla.

California deserves to be mocked. Anyone mocking Texas is, as I noted, simply jealous of our success. Perhaps you should improve your own conditions instead of attempting to mock those who are succeeding. Your petty jealousy is unbecoming.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

2962 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
Quote:
Why is Texas one of few states with its own power grid?

[...] The country is divided into three grids: one covers the eastern U.S., another the western states and then there is the Texas grid, which covers nearly the entire state.

The reasons Texas controls its own grid, the journalist Kate Galbraith observed in a Texplainer piece for the Texas Tribune in 2011 have to do with the same theme that colors so much of Texas' history and public policy: a distrust of federal interference.

[...] By eschewing transmission across state lines, the Texas utilities retained freedom," Richard D. Cudahy wrote in a 1995 article, "The Second Battle of the Alamo: The Midnight Connection." "This policy of isolation avoided regulation by the newly created Federal Power Commission, whose jurisdiction was limited to utilities operating in interstate commerce."

The result was "an electrical island in the United States," Bill Magness, CEO of ERCOT, said. "That independence has been jealously guarded, I think both by policy makers and the industry." [link]

Quote:
Texas leaders failed to heed warnings that left the state's power grid vulnerable to winter extremes, experts say

Texas officials knew winter storms could leave the stateís power grid vulnerable, but they left the choice to prepare for harsh weather up to the power companies ó many of which opted against the costly upgrades. That, plus a deregulated energy market largely isolated from the rest of the countryís power grid, left the state alone to deal with the crisis, experts said. [link]

I was also reading that if they get power from those other 2 grids it comes with regulations which Texas doesn't want because they way they charge consumers is pretty fucked up (and not in favor of the consumers).
I couldn't find the article to better explain it though.

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

9035 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother ur-Nan wrote:
Apparently Texans are being told to boil the tap water now.

And California has the homeless shitting on the streets. Every Democrat run large city has unchecked crime. Cuomo sentenced the elderly to die in nursing homes.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
I was also reading that if they get power from those other 2 grids it comes with regulations which Texas doesn't want because they way they charge consumers is pretty fucked up (and not in favor of the consumers).
I couldn't find the article to better explain it though.

I don't know what article you were reading but it is full of shit. I was going to double-check my rate on my provider's website but it is undergoing maintenance at this time--probably due to high volume--but my rate is like .127 per kWh and is locked in; my provider also funnels money towards wind and solar--which are viable and useful sources in Texas for 90% of the year. Consumers who make choices which are less intelligent than mine....well, they are not my problem--they should make better choices.

Sarge is right--Democrat-run States have problems like shit on the sidewalk, they look like Fallout locales, they killed the elderly in nursing homes on purpose, and their schools aren't open. The schools have been open here--I can see the bus dropping kids off at about 345pm every day here--while those school districts are still closed and more worried about what the names of the schools are as opposed to student education.

Like I said--shit-talking Texas is nothing but petty jealousy. This is understandable, though--those other States simply don't know better and have a lack of manners.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

9035 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus we didn't have riots in Texas this past summer that lasted beyond the first night. Our cities simply arrested hundreds and moved on in life.

Ur is a shot poster. He doesn't answer questions because he can't. We have the worst liberals here.

Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long before the UN starts sending aid to Texas?
TheFallen

Male

30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly... if anyone is going to troll so blatantly, could they at least try and be witty with it? Otherwise it's just trite and tiresomely schoolyard.

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

9035 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ur is a parody. A troll. A hack.ittle better than a bot.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother ur-Nan wrote:

Never. Next question...and perhaps it will better than that one.

Liebeschoen is already back at work with Texas National Guard, boxing food and other supplies to send to shelters for those in real need.

Cail would have loved this topic because he hates Texas.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
TheFallen

Male

30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother ur-Nan wrote:
So...

How's that whole Gandalf Joe thing about "promoting unity and healing division" coming along? You know the one... Gandalf Joe's the self-styled "agent of the Light", promising that the Dems will be the party that's going to mend America?

Incredibly well, I'd say - particularly if Dems are actively mocking Pub states for problems caused by freak weather events and to add more grist to the mill, are actually gloating about and taking pleasure in the latter's consequent misfortunes. That's beyond Schadenfreude... that's just fucked up. That's twisted and sick.So far, 24 people have died - there's a big yack.

Way to heal and unify, guys... what a United States of America... I'm sure Pelosi and Schumer would be proud of you and the the tack you're taking.

What next? The Dems throw a big celebratory parTAAY if a hurricane hits the Florida coastline with not insignificant loss of life? "Fuck 'em. It's Florida. They're all Pubs down there, so they deserve everything they get. And hey, as Pubs, it's not even like they're real people anyways, right?"...

Sometimes people are very genuinely beneath all contempt.

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by TheFallen on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's okay when you mock Californians for experiencing natural disasters, but it's not okay when the same is done to you. Noted.

And for the record, I don't mock or celebrate the plight of millions of Texans. I mock the unpreparedness of its government and how they look for random excuses to cover up their glaring faults.

Here's a little lesson for how the state government can easily handle winter weather: Snow. Plow. Salt.

If a small farm town in the middle of nowhere in Kansas can do that every year and easily handle a foot or more of snow every winter, then surely a rich state like Texas can, too.

I know parts of the Texas Panhandle get a lot of snow during their winters. The fact that most of Texas is warm doesn't excuse the fact that you were unprepared for winter weather. Texas is a big state the size of France, with different climates in different parts of the state. You should be able to handle any kind of weather for the most part.

Last edited by Brother ur-Nan on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: