Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why i left the Watch...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

39 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: why i left the Watch... Reply with quote

let me start with the board i was on before this one. it was great, we exchanged stuff (cd's, postcards, foodstuffs) all over the world, many parts of America as well as Australia, England and Canada. then the trolls starting to infect. there was a core group of 12 or so of us. we received nasty replies on the boards and nasty pm's. so we tried and combat the problem. but it got worse and we started dropping off, one by one. it was no longer fun. the board collapsed, a few old guard stayed and tried, but trolls kept bashing away. i got involved in this board on the advice of someone from that board actually. and things here were great. so good in fact that i returned to the old board on occassion, making posts here and there, and a person there shared some stuff with us, and was turned on by a great many on that board. i sent pm's trying to bolster her, but these people were nasty. she still posts there, but with much less enthusiasm. well on this board about a month or bit more ago i received a vile pm, full of nastiness. and then i see this person continue to post, off topic just like i was so soundly smacked for. and i thought just this one thing, i'll let it go. but then i started to reply in kind to some folks here and there, and when it got to mudslinging i decided it wasn't any fun anymore. it is ironic that on the first board i was writing about the watershed was a vile, racist post started by one of the new trolls. it pretty much divided the whole community. it became easy to see who stood where. i've had fun here, but it ain't fun anymore. i have let a lot slide, personal attacks ad such. but i'm not a represenative anymore. how cqn i preach tolerance when i'm not showing any myself. i have asked that my posts be deleted. i turned all my inventory back to the store. go get some. i don't know how to give away my wgd's. if the mods don't delete my posts, i finish what i can. i had fun. but when i first got here i talked with someone who also chose to leave. and i see that person's reasoning more now than when it happened.
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

4540 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad1 Holy Launch Button1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this, and my first impression was that I had somehow offended Dennis in a pm (I figured this based on my tendancy to post off-topic stuff). Then I checked my sent pm's and realized that it wasn't me. Then I read it again, and realized that while Dennis may not be having fun here or on the 'other' site (which is unknown to us and should remain that way), it's not the same as if nobody was having fun here. I too am a member of other sites, and I too have had to deal with the originators of those sites wishing the success of their site hadn't happened, because said success also meant change, which wasn't what they had counted on when they had built the site. That is why I like Jay so much; he is so unpretentious. He lets us be who we are, and does not judge us because we may not have been here as long as other people have. I think that we have followed Jay's lead on this, and I also think that you have misjudged the greter part of KW when you made your statements. So, if you ever find yourself back here, just understand that you will be treated much better than the tone of your post implies you think you'll be, because that's the kind of people we are here.

Trolls indeed!
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While people occasionally get a little hot under the collar, I don't find any true trollish behavior here.

Once in a while I get a little hot myself.

I can't say what has gone on in PM because I don't PM much, and have never received a nasty PM.

I like you, Dennis, and hope I have not done or said anything to offend you.

I wish you well, and hope only the best for you.

Empress Cho hammers the KABC of Evil.

"If Ignorance is Bliss, Ann Coulter must be the happiest woman in the universe!"

Take that, you Varlet! Razz
Immanentizing The Eschaton

35826 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dAN, that was a great post, and one I agree with wholeheartedly.

Dennis, once again, I hope that you change your mind about this. And as dAN said, no need to worry that if you do, your return would not be happily greeted. (I still don't think your posts need to be deleted by the way.)

I'm sorry that you've ended up feeling this way, and as I said, I hope that you reconsider. If not, I'll join Cho in wishing you all of the best.

Stay Safe

[Syl]
Embattred

3697 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, Dennis, you're a good guy. Sure, we disagree in the Tank, maybe the Close, but that's why those forums are there... so the heated stuff stays out of GD or other forums. If you need to go and clear your head... cool. Most of us have at one time or another. If you want to avoid the Collective, hey, that's cool, too. We'll all support your decisions and hope for your return.

Peace
-Syl-
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord of Neverness

3248 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2005 Watcher of the Year1 Revelwood1 Skyweir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but issue debates take it right out of me--if anything burns me out on this board it's that. Spoiler:
I guess I need to thank my lucky stars that Ahira's Hangar is so unpopular! Very Happy [joking--I really am! Cool ]
Please relax and try us again dennis, I know I'll miss you (especially in Vespers). Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Lord Mhoram
Boston Brahmin

Male

2455 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Revelstone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis,

Like someone else has already said, I don't know what happened in PM, but I frequent the Think-Tank and the Close a lot (especially lately), and believe me I know that things can get heated. But as dAN has said, I believe you have made an inaccurate generalization of our membership.

I know a lot of people around here are fond of you dennis, and while we all have our differences politically, religiously, philosophically, etc., I think we can all kind of see outside of our own personal views on these issues and just be buddies again.

Come back soon.

danlo,

Regarding the Hangar: Don't worry man! Things will get swinging over there again, you know these things go in cycles and the Hangar was, at one point, a very popular place and it will be again. Smile
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

4540 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Mhoram wrote:
danlo,

Regarding the Hangar: Don't worry man! Things will get swinging over there again, you know these things go in cycles and the Hangar was, at one point, a very popular place and it will be again. Smile

That's right. Heck, football season is just around the corner!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CovenantJr
Lord

Male

841 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Morinmoss1 New Lord1 Captains Fancy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only reiterate the comments above. Some areas of the site are prone to heated exchanges, but they rarely overflow into other areas; we all have our opinions and perspectives, and the vast majority of the members here respect that.

If you've been subject to abuse of some kind, you should really discuss it with a Moderator or Admin - all stand ready to help.

Having said that, if you feel the need for a hiatus, by all means take one. As Syl said, most of us have done it at one time or another.
duchess of malfi
Mother of Dragons, Slayer of Lies

Female

11969 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck1 Foul Duck1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are times I have gotten really burned out here, and a week or so off helps a great deal. Smile

While heated exchanges go on in some forums, there are plenty of other places where you have done a lot of posting, such as the music forum, where you seem to enjoy yourself, and no heated exchanges occur.

I think you're a good guy, and hope that you will come back! Cool
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
6023 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Raver1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dANdeLION wrote:
I also think that you have misjudged the greter part of KW when you made your statements.

Fo shizzle.

But yeah... I think everyone said what I would say. Sorry to see you go, but if you're not happy and want to leave, then fine. But you shouldn't use it as a chance to get some "last word" in to demean the rest of the members here. The one thing I know about the Watch is that everyone here is mature and respectful. And if they aren't, then you just need to talk to me or a Mod about it, so I (or they) can help. Except for the times when I'm the one being an immature jerk. Then you should probably bother Alynna for help, heh.

When you are in topics of politics or religion, they tend to get heated, just as a result of people having different opinions. The important thing about these topics is that we all remain open minded and mature, and to not be stubborn and slight people for their opinions. If there's conflict, then sometimes taking some time off is a good idea to help cool off. You can also come talk to me at any time, and I'll be glad to help moderate the situation and try to cool it off. Or I'll just ban everyone involved. That works pretty well too. Razz

So yeah...anything left for me to say? I guess not. Good luck, Dennis. Remember, this is just a message board. It's not worth getting upset over. If you're not happy here, then all right, that's fine. But it's my job to help people be content here, so you need to use me as a resource if things are bothering you. While it may not be obvious at first, the purpose of the Watch isn't to completely piss people off, heh.

That's all. Seacrest out.-jay
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Female

3292 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Jay...totally in agreement.

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
lurch
Swamp Thang

Male

3944 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: See ya soon... Reply with quote

...To make a stand about your own convictions D wood,, is quite the noble and honorable thing to do. A sabattical is a good thing to do, as I and most others often have done. Fascinating trick on the mind this internet chatroom/message board business. Its like watching a puppet act. The success of the act at some point depends on the audience forgetting its a wood dummy or a sock. When we get so wrapped around concepts and beliefs in a chat or message,,the success of the Internet is that we forget thats its only the Internet..two dimensional word exchange. So yea, take a break. We've all be there. I just hope that the 3d word is better for you. Or,,see ya back in a while. There just...is this pull,,that keeps one comin back to a favorite site. ....MEL...
Brinn
SPOW

625 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Dennis. We agreed on very little but if we all agreed about everything what would there be to discuss?!?!?

Take care of yourself,

Brinn
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
onewyteduck
Lady Fowl the Motherducker

Female

1189 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Kresh1 US Flag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group Hug

Good luck Dennis. You know we luv ya!
Damelon
Lord

2342 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, if you need to take a break for a while. We all get burned out now and then.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dromond
Dances with Nicor

1469 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Damelon.

dennis, I don't much respect the melodrama, but 4000 posts in 1 year (almost) you gotta be burning out...

take a break, go to other discussion boards then come on back.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

35826 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts folks. Especially Jay. Dennis, I really wish you'd brought up your apparently increasing disaffection before, so that we could have at least tried to resolve any problems you were having.

Like eveybody else, I too hope you decide to come back.

All the best,

dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

4540 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, if you come back, try to shave your avatar; we're trying to maintain out clean-cut image here, you know........
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

Vain
Deus Ex Machina

Male

6525 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Rubber Duck1 Foul Duck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prefeence is that no posts get deleted.

I have a bucket list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: