Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Orleans Mayor Nagin's Speech Yesterday
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jelerak
Bloodguard

229 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: New Orleans Mayor Nagin's Speech Yesterday Reply with quote

For those of you who hadn't caught any excerpts from Ray Nagin's speech yesterday on MLK day...check the comments out below.

Quote:
"This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be," said Mayor Nagin. "It's time for us to rebuild a New Orleans, the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans. And I don't care what people are saying in Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day."

Talk about racially devisive, huh? Sorry to inform you, Mr. Nagin, but the tax base in this city is what we should be concerned about bringing back at this point and time. Also sorry to inform you that the majority of the neighborhoods that produce the most tax revenue are the 'white' areas of the city, as well. So, if I were a white New Orleans resident, trying to decide if I wanted to come back to live in New Orleans, how would the above comments make me feel? It doesn't even sound as if white residents of New Orleans are even wanted or welcomed back.

Quote:
"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin said as he and other city leaders commemorated Martin Luther King Day. "Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

God is mad at America? In Iraq under false pretenses? Not that I am a believer, but if I was...I would be pretty insulted that Mr. Nagin is now elevated himself now to one who can interpret God's actions and how he passes judgement. Yeah, this helps us out a whole lot. Just as we are trying to get more support and funding from the current administration to continue the rebuilding process in New Orleans.

Quote:
Nagin told the crowd that he also asked, "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

I can't say anything bad about that comment. Finally, he addresses an issue in his speech that should be a real concern.

Personally, I supported Nagin all through the Katrina aftermath. All the way up until his speech yesterday, that is. Talk about political posturing! With the elections rapidly closing in on us, this was so obviously an attempt to embrace the black voters who remain in the city.

Oh well...looks like business as usual in the new political spectrum which is New Orleans...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22764 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought this up in the "News stories that really tick you off" thread. I couldn't agree with you more, and I'm glad to have a local weigh in on it.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15251 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Pat Robertson had said some of those things, it would be all over CNN right now.
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22764 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
[Syl]
Embattred

3730 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, man, I don't like it either, but considering it's an African American mayor making a speech to an African American audience on MLK day... I don't think it's as bad as it may seem.

As far as the God thing goes, well, it's all a bit silly to me anyway (this is the same god that destroyed cities, turned wives into salt, and numerous other acts of vengeance for more trifling reasons). But you know when tragedies happen, people look for reasons. If you look for the devil's face in the clouds, you'll eventually see it, and all that. At least he's also bringing out a positive message with it, trying to uplift the black community.

Sure, everybody in NO has had it rough, but we all have to admit the black community had it the worst, and from the sound of it, it sounds like they still do. Walk a mile in their shoes, and all that.

Heh, now all that being said, I think the mayor of New Orleans should be above that kind of thing. He's not just the black mayor. But I don't think he's counting on another term, so he's probably trying to be as effective as he can where he can. *shrug*
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22764 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if a mayor of a predominantly white city that had been devistated had said he wanted a "Wonder Bread City", you'de be OK with that?
[Syl]
Embattred

3730 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bizarro world, sure. It's all about context. (and if worms had machine guns, birds wouldn't f*** with 'em).

Are you really not 'OK with that', Cail? Are you printing off newsletters, calling in contacts, planning protests as we speak?

It's not like I'm endorsing what he said. In fact, I said the opposite. I'm just saying I can kinda see where he's coming from.

I'm not saying, "OK!" I'm saying "...eh."
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Embattred

3730 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlb wrote:
If Pat Robertson had said some of those things, it would be all over CNN right now.

Cail wrote:
It's official, he's nuts....

www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/17/nagin.city/index.html
Quote:
Nagin calls for rebuilding 'chocolate' New Orleans
Black majority city 'the way God wants it to be'

Tuesday, January 17, 2006; Posted: 5:34 a.m. EST (10:34 GMT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Mayor Ray Nagin on Monday called for the rebuilding of a "chocolate New Orleans" that maintains the city's black majority, saying, "You can't have New Orleans no other way."

And it looks like the 3rd article down under US on their main page. Wink
-George Steiner
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22764 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm pretending to work at the moment.... Wink

And no, I'm not OK with anyone telling the world that God wants a Chocolate City, anymore than anyone else would be with a white mayor making a similar comment.

It's a horribly divisive comment to make, and the man should be ashamed of himself.
jelerak
Bloodguard

229 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be that I am just about numb to everything going on down here by now, with over 4 months of post-Katrina BS behind me. But his comments yesterday proved to me that just when you think that you had heard it all...then here we go again.

What could have motivated him to make those comments, except for self preservation and political posturing? He knows the elections are coming up quickly, he knows that he has taken a bunch of flack for not trying to get the black community back here in New Orleans (which, right or wrong, the white populace of New Orleans is where most of the tax base is from), and he knows that with out the black votes, he has no chance for re-election.

So what does he do? He takes the biggest stage in front of the black population of New Orleans (right after the MLK day parade) and pumps up the black population of the city that he will make it 'chocolate' again, tells them what they want to hear...all in hopes of getting them back behind him, and hoping to get their support back before the election.

If I were a white resident of New Orleans, and I was already back living in the city...the For Sale sign would already be up on my front lawn, after yesterday's comments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jelerak: you know i supported ray during the crisis, but he has no lost his mind. sorry to read about his meltdown, how much longer is his term?

syl: if a white mayor had said the same about wanting a vanilla boston, he would have to resign or be recalled.

jelerak
Bloodguard

229 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...his apology hit the local media today, admitting that he should have never brought God into the mix, admitting that he should never had excluded anyone from the 'new' New Orleans. Basically asking everyone for their forgiveness for his comments.

Believe me, the heat that he has taken down here is hard for me to put into perspective for ya'll, if you're not here to feel it first hand.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you an update. Too little, too late for me to get back into his corner, though.
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15251 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and if worms had machine guns, birds wouldn't f*** with 'em

OT - sorry, but this is just about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how will local elections happen there? imagine the nightmare of the absentee ballots. any idea when the next round of elections is due?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the tax base, it does seem divisive. not to mention religio-centric. Wink

I dunno...I mean, I see what Syl is saying, but that approach doesn't seem the answer, or eve to make sense, unless he is running for re-election after all.

--A

Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

6108 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, did Nagin talk about how Mardi Gras will be up and running this year, as if it was top priority? I remember someone mentioning that. If it was Nagin, I'm confused how he could think if God punished them its b/c of Bush, and not a city that flaunts its hedonism. Altho I guess in today's world it does make sense, its never our fault (and even more so, its Bush's).

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

37391 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardi Gras probably is a top priority if you're looking for revenue, so that at least would be understandable.

The hedonism line is that other guys, (Roberts?). I guess that that's the conservative christian line. God's anger with Bush must be the liberal christians one.

(And everybody needs somebody to balme, Cybrweez...even hedonists. Wink )

--A

[Syl]
Embattred

3730 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(And everybody needs somebody to balm, Cybrweez...even hedonists. wink.gif )

Especially hedonists. Wink
-George Steiner
Plissken
Why Me?

8599 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hadn't found anything to add or holler about on this thread, but...

'Weez (he asked slowly and calmly), are you suggesting that Mardi Gras is what tempted God's Wrath?

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

6108 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plissken: no.

Av: I wonder if Mardi Gras is worth it for revenue. I can't imagine the same amount of crowds, plus the security and work to host it should irritate any NO dwellers, since that money could go to the infrastructure work needed.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Temp -> Coercri All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: